Chapter 35 - The bitter taste of victory

"Banned..." Angelina said cavernously, staring at the wall. "No Seeker and no Beaters... what on Earth are we going to do now?"

They were sitting in the common room, not feeling triumphant at all. Megan looked around at their devastated faces, feeling more and more guilty. She knew that her past with Umbridge had greatly influenced her heavy and exaggerated sanction. Though, then again, if she thought like Fudge... maybe Fred would have been punished just the same. But Megan knew full well it was her fault. She had let her irrational flares of anger take over again... and this time, the consequences had been worse than ever before. First it had affected her friends, now her team mates, and even her house... what would it be next? What if she got so out of control that she hurt someone close to her? She had hit Malfoy with far more rage than she would ever have condoned. She didn't think she could live with herself if that happened with her friends...

"Guys... we're really sorry," She said. "It's our fault... we were stupid..."

"We're not blaming you." Katie sighed heavily. "Malfoy wouldn't have stopped until you snapped, you know what he's like... and McGonagall couldn't stop Umbridge, either, not with that stupid Educational Decree..."

"It's just so unfair!" Alicia burst out angrily. "Malfoy provoked them! That's the only reason they fought! And what about when Crabbe shot that stupid bludger at Megan after the whistle?! He wasn't banned, was he?"

"Of course not..." Megan said bitterly.

"He got nothing but stinking, ruddy lines!" George said furiously, hitting his armrest with each word. "I heard Montague laughing about it, over dinner..."

"And banning George, when he didn't do anything!" Katie said, her fists clenched.

"Only because you three were stopping me. I'd have beaten him bloody if I'd been there too..." George said darkly.

"And that would have improved matters, wouldn't it?" said Angelina sharply.

Megan stared unhappily out the window. Snow was falling quietly outside, pearly white against the dark night. The Snitch she had caught earlier fluttered around gently. With a heavy sigh, Angelina got to her feet.

"I'm off to bed... hopefully, this will turn out to be a bad dream..."

Megan wished she could make it a bad dream too. Angelina left, soon followed by Alicia and Katie. Fred, George and Ginny did the same some time after, leaving only Harry, Megan and Hermione. Megan felt her coin in her robes and pulled it out. Cedric had taught her a way to connect your thoughts, that way one didn't have to speak out loud.

How did they take it? Cedric asked.

They're absolutely appalled, of course... but at least they don't blame us...

Of course they don't, it's not your fault.

She sighed.

I wish I could believe that... well, Umbridge had already stripped the school of almost everything worthwhile, I suppose I should have expected her coming after Quidditch too...

How's your back? That bludger seemed pretty nasty, Cedric asked.

Megan's back did hurt a bit, and she was sure she'd have an ugly bruise. But she was all right.

I'll have an ugly bruise I will never let you see, but I'll be fine.

When she read his answer, she could almost hear his laugh.

Ha ha ha! That's good to hear. I really am sorry about your ban. Anything I can do?

She smiled fondly at the coin.