Chapter 2

Ash's POV

I slightly chuckled at her groan, taking care not to be audible. I didn't want to be punched by her.

Serena Yvonne, my childhood best friend, was not always like this. She didn't have a boyish attitude back in Prof. Oak's summer camp. In fact she was the cutest thing there. 

Yeah, cutest thing. Cuter than even the stuffed toys or kittens.

I remember seeing her for the first time when I was chasing a rabbit in an adjacent eco-park. I had  heard some shuffling on the other side of a bush and assumed that it was the rabbit. But I was surprised when I saw Sere there, sitting under a tree, her knee hurt. She looked scared and I went to her and looked at her knee. I had tied my handkerchief on her wound and chanted a silly get-well magic spell. It was more to make her laugh but instead she whimpered more from the pain.  I then helped her up and walked back to the camp with her, hand in hand.

But I still remember the surprise that hit me back then.

I was walking her back and suddenly, a girl runs up to us and hugs Sere. And, she looks exactly like Sere!

Later on, I figured out that that was Sere's twin, Marina. They both looked so alike. Except their eyes. There was a difference in both of their eyes shades. And, Sere has a better eye colour than her sister.

In the next few days, me and Sere played a lot. But this left poor Marina alone. So one day I went up to her and invited her to play with us. This made Sere really happy. But soon, I started getting bullied by some of the older boys. They teased me for playing with girls. Once, Marina stood up to them but they silenced her too. For the next few days, they had made Marina their target. They bullied her a lot. She had cried a lot about this and no matter how many times we complained to the elders, they still came on coming. That's when something inside Sere snapped.

She stood up for her sister and me, but got bullied too. This made her resolve that no matter what, she would protect me and Marina from such bullies. From that day on, the girl within Sere was replaced by that of a boy. She cut her hair short, threw away all her dresses or gifted them to her sister. She starting building a bold, brave and confident character out of herself and today, she remains the same. 

My school mates are scared of her. She has put the bullying business to a halt in our school. She had brought a revolution in our school. 

I am really impressed with her and everything, but I still miss the old Sere. She could be bold and tough along with being a normal, high school girl.

But she believes that dresses and girlish stuff would reduce the impression of being tough.

That's true though.

But right now, I am just bummed with the fact that she perfectly ruined the perfect romantic moment. I am just trying to give birth to a bit of love in that stone-heart of hers. But she won't accept it, any way.

"By the way, where are we going?" I asked as I followed her out.

"How about the arcade?" She replied casually.

Well to a certain point, I liked this version of Sere. She is a champion at the arcade and it's always fun to lose against her. But I also win, sometimes.

"Sure and this time I am going to beat you to the floor Sere!" I fist pump excitedly, as let out a laugh and shook her head.

"Nope, not gonna happen."

We argued all the way to the arcade. But I enjoy every moment I spend with her. I am so sure that nothing will ever come in between our friendship.

Serena's POV

It was 7:15 pm. I walked home, angry and happy at the same time that Ash left without telling me. Angry, because he didn't tell me that he was leaving but happy, because it was quite and calm walking alone.

After having defeated and earned a glorious victory over Ash, I went on to play with some random people. And, defeated them too.

I am proud of myself.

But Ash had left and I had searched for him everywhere. In fact I was even going to check the men's restrooms.

I reached my house's driveway and saw the lights of my room switched on. That could mean only one thing. Ash. I rushed in to find Ash lying on the bed reading my book. I snatched it and kept it on my shelf.

"When did you come?" I asked coldly.

"When you were sabotaging everyone else in the room," he smiled.

"And why did you leave me?!" I asked, frustrated.

"Because, my dear Serena, you were so happy destroying them. By the way what were you playing?"

"Games."

"Which ones?" He said coolly.

"The ones I am good at." I smiled and plopped down on my bed.

He smiled, "classic move Sere."

"Yeah. That shows that they were dumb, accepting my 'request' so blindly."

"Hey, haven't heard about Marina in a while. How is she?"

I sighed a bit. I hadn't heard from my sister in a while now. 

Our family of four; Mom, Dad, Marina and I, we were living happily until my Mom had to move out for her job. She took Marina along with her, leaving me and Dad behind. But this never affected our bond. For the first few years after this change, me and Mari talked a lot. But it slowly decreased and now, we hardly ever talk. She does come over once every year, but only for a week.

"Marina and I never talk. I don't know but whenever Mom calls she just says I can't talk to Marina. I don't understand why," I said frowning.

"Hmm, maybe they are planning a surprise for you and your Dad," he said cheerfully.

"Are we kids who love surprises?" I said bluntly.

"Of course! I love surprises!! Don't you?" He replied enthusiastically. "Well, if they have a surprise then please call me immediately," Ash said, his eyes almost sparkling.

"Okay, kiddo," I said sarcastically.

"Hey I am not a kid, I am a teen," he pouted.

"You actions are those of a 3-year-old kid."

"Serena you won't leave a moment without teasing me, would you?" He rolled his eyes.

"I can't," I laughed.

"I am hungry," Ash suddenly said as his stomach grumbled and he chuckled, embarrassed.

I sighed again and rolled my eyes. We then headed for dinner.