Hunters- Chapter 13

I took a deep breath.

"Let him in," I said to Toka. I needed to see if he was okay. Krishna looked a bit skeptical, but she didn't say anything. As soon as he entered, everyone left. It was just the two of us. Gods he looked so beautiful. His black, silky hair ruffled from constantly running his hands through his hair, with frustration, I guess.

"Carina..." His deep, husky voice sent shivers down my spine. I loved the way he said my name, the way it sounded. Looking at him, my resolve to stay away from him was diminishing. It was then that I realized that he was my greatest weakness. He made me weak. He has the power to do with me as he likes, no matter how much he has hurt me. I loved him. I loved the man standing before me, with all of my heart, soul, and being.

"Yes?" my voice shook as I answered. I am not ready to have him hate me, not yet or ever. He opened his mouth to say something but closed it again. I was about to ask how he was when in a swift movement, he was at my side. I was too stunned to move when he pulled my body towards his and kissed me. Yes, Drake was kissing me! Oh, how I missed his sweet, warm lips on mine. I eagerly kissed back urgently. I felt his hands weaved through my hair as he pulled me even closer. My hands found his hair, so soft and silky. His scent of smoke and a hint of something else, something sweet, made me feel safe. I felt as if though nothing bad would ever happen.

After what seem like a few seconds later, but I'm sure it was a good while later, we pulled away for air. We were both panting and staring at each other. I was trying to figure out how to push him away. It was going to break my heart, but it had to be done. There was absolutely no future for us. I was going to die no matter the outcome of the battle. My fate was sealed the moment I burned down my childhood home and then there was what I did to Drake.

"Carina." Drake's voice broke my train of thought. I looked up at him.

"Yes, Drake?" I whispered, gazing into those beautiful green eyes that I loved so much.

"I'm sorry." That took me off guard.

"What?" I asked confused.

"I'm sorry about Trixie," the mere mention of her name made my blood boil. I hated her so much, and hearing Drake say her name made it even worse! "I should have told you about her." I started to say something, but he didn't let me. "No, Carina. I really should have since I knew that Trixie was going to try something. Whatever you saw wasn't what it looked like. She just is so damn infatuated with me that she would do anything to make other girls back off. She saved my life so I try to put up with her attitude as best as possible, but then you came along and well, she didn't like that. But I love you, I promise I do." He looked at me. I knew that everything he was saying was true. I could see it in his eyes, hear it in his voice, but I couldn't do this to Drake. I loved him too much to hurt him with my death. I took in a deep breath and steeled my heart. I had to do this, there was no future for us.

"Drake," my voice came out cold and harden. "I don't care. We are not together. You can do whatever you like with whoever you want. It is none of my business or concern. I could care less of what you do or don't do." He went stiff as I said those words. I hurt him, and my heart was breaking seeing him like that. "I don't love you. I never have and never will. How could I love someone that has hurt my friends, someone that couldn't save my parents!" I cried out and pushed him away from me. He fell to the floor but didn't make an effort to move. He just sat there staring at me. "I hate you! How could you ever think that I would actually love you! You of all people. You are responsible for all the horrible things that have happened to me! You destroyed my life! I HATE YOU!" By the time I finished, I was shouting and crying.

Drake sat motionlessly. For a brief second, pain flashed in his eyes before they harden. He hated me.

"Very well Ms. Banks. I am sorry to have bothered you with nonsense. You will never see my face again. I assure you." Drake got up and walked out. I sat there wanting him to come back, to look at me in the eyes and see that it was a lie, that everything was a horrible lie. That I loved him. I wanted him to take me in his arms and tell me that everything was going to be okay. That we'd find a way, but I knew it was for the best. It was better to not hurt him anymore. I love him too much to burden him with my death. I had to let him go.

Days passed, and I avoided Drake at all costs. He tried to talk to me once, but I quickly left with Toka. After that, he never approached me again. I followed my mother's schedule. During the day I trained with Lords Takyo, Lady Stris, Lord Merlin and Toka. Krishna and Kapano trained me during the night in the Mythical Garden. My mother also visited me during the early mornings and taught me all kinds of spells, spells of destruction, creation, and transformation.

Even though I was exhausted, I was glad for such a busy schedule. It made me focus on something else other than Drake. I didn't have time to think about Drake at all, and I was grateful for that. Although Toka occasionally mentioned him, saying how he had moved on to a different girl name Andra or Aira. I nodded like I didn't care, but I pushed the sword that I was practicing with, straight through Toka's shield. After that, the fae never mentioned Drake, Andra or Aira again. I know I should feel happy that he moved on, but I'm not. I'm heartbroken. I wish he could see that me avoiding him, and all those things I said were a lie.

I was have broken away from my thoughts when the council, with the exception of Melian, approached me. I had told them everything that was going on, including my identity, the war, and my unquestionable death. They had agreed to train me, and support me in the war against King of demons. Toka also knew and had agreed to gather some fairies to help with the war.

"Carina." Lord Takyo said.

"Yes my Lord?"

"You have been training for a couple of days now, and we have seen a lot of progress. The council would like to put you to a test," he stated. The dark-haired lord stood tall as he stepped back to let Lord Merlin talk.

"We would like you to duel with Drake. He is our best and most skilled Hunter." The white haired Lord said. I could feel my blood run cold. I didn't want to face Drake, much less hurt him.

"It is for the best child. If you can beat Drake, then that means our job is half way done. From there you would battle against the council, all of us. That is your last test." Lady Stris said, noticing my hesitation.

"Of course my Lady. I will battle against Drake." I answered. The council looked pleased.

"Very well your duel will be held tomorrow at noon." with that they walked away leaving me dumbfounded. I knew if I saw Drake my resolve would come crumbling down, but I had to do this.

"Toka! I shall duel against Drake tomorrow. Please help me get ready." The fae nodded and led me towards the armory. Tomorrow I shall face Drake.

**********Author's Note**********

Hello, my little fairies! I'm back with this month's chapter. I worked hard, so I hope you guys enjoy it. Please tell me what you guys think. And remember to

COMMENT, VOTE, ADD TO LIBARY, and SHARE it with the world!!!!

Insignia Out!