Chapter 6 - To the Castle

Chapter 6

Orrick wasted no time with preparations, a happy messenger was dispatched almost instantly and Lisa was hurried off to make preparations to leave at the earliest possible moment. He seemed nervous for some reason, this puzzled Lisa making her nervous in turn. Wasn't he supposed to be more relaxed as he accomplished his brother's wishes? His brother. The King.

Lisa sat in her room feeling somber, looking around the room that had been her home since she left the nursery next to her parent's own chamber. When she was old enough they gave her own room, a large one in which she filled with memories and things she loved. She looked across to the bookshelf, hundreds of books littered shelves and cubby holes, porcelain dolls with golden curls sat within them. Her first fishing rods in the corner, the small table which she sat now dwarfed by her adult size, she used to play here as a little girl, making tea for the little daughters of the kitchen maids she used to sneak from beneath their mother's skirts, desperate for company as she was, nobody had time for her. She looked around at the life she was leaving behind, leaving the familiar was always difficult, but she thought, she was ready to meet it head on.

A knock at the door made her jump,

"Lisa dear? How are you my darling?" came her mother's soft voice, her mother, though always caring and mild tempered was perhaps too mild tempered for a man such as her father and so she agreed to his every wish never having her own say in any matter, not even raising her only child or how much time they got to spend together. Her father believed it proper that the nurse raise her and her mother see her at meals and perhaps tea in the afternoon.

"Well mother, somewhat anxious, a little nervous, but well" she smiled a brave smile for her mother, her mother sat next to her, the women looking silly around the over small table and over small chairs, she took her daughter's hand in hers,

"This is a good thing my daughter" she smiled "he is the king, you will be queen and want for nothing" Lisa eyed her mother suspiciously,

"Then why do you not seemed as thrilled as a mother should be that her daughter is marrying the King?" she asked warily, her mother's eyes widened then she regained her composure, her lips softening,

"I've not had the opportunity to be the mother I've always wanted to be for you Lisa, but my love was ever the same, no mother could give up her daughter so easily into a home she knew naught about to a man not many have seen no matter that man be called the kindest of names or the home the grandest of homes" she kissed her daughter's cheek, "I'm merely anxious for you my dear, I have always wished you all the happiness life had to offer, but I also wished that you would have met someone and fallen in love with them on your own accord, not be forced into a marriage..." her voice broke off but Lisa knew what she meant, her mother wanted her as far away from a life that she had as possible.

"Worry not my dear mother, all will be well" she comforted and then with a smile added "as soon as all is settled I shall send for you, father dare not upset the queen now would he?" she tried her sternest face, then both she and her mother burst out laughing and hugged each other fiercely.

It was almost a fortnight when they were on their way to the castle. The journey was beginning to take a toll on her, she was restless as they didn't stop often, even her butt complained from being sat on for such hours. Orrick insisted on taking as few stops as possible, he didn't say so but Lisa had a feeling they were passing through less friendly lands and just did not want to alarm her.

She pulled the curtain to look out of her chaise, Orrick was riding ahead, his strong features pronounced by his profile, she wondered idly what Roderick looked like, was he as handsome as his brother? He was certainly younger she thought thankfully, she had nothing against older men but she always saw herself with someone closer to her age with whom she could grow old with, not with someone who was old already. Orrick was the bastard son of their father and although he was so loved by the people that he could have the throne should he wish it, he never really wanted it, he was jappy being  captain of the guard and held the greatest of respect from all who knew him and who heard of him.