Chapter 29 - Search and Pray

First light was breaking just above the horizon, Orrick and his men had camped at the forest's edge and were all preparing to enter the dreaded wood. Orrick had no idea what they would find in there, he only knew that Lisa's best chance of survival was the highland warrior that went in after her. He only hoped that it would be enough. Even while growing up, Aiden had a different sense of loyalty, he would do anything for those he cared about. His skills as a warrior and a soldier was surpassed by none, not even him, Orrick always teased him that it was his Scot's blood that gave him that very vital edge. It was that edge they desperately needed now.

"Botulf, are you ready?" questioned the Captain of the Guard, he was clearly stressed, all his men could see that. But then again, under the circumstances, they all were. The small framed, young man nodded, pulled his gloves tight on his hands and walked with purpose to the tree line of the forest where he knew Aiden to have entered. Botulf was the second best tracker in the Guard after Aiden, he was sure the young lad would be able to follow Aiden's movements without too much trouble, especially if he left a marked trail. Armed and ready the search party made their way into the dense, damp and eerie forest with hope.

"This way my lord" called the young man from up ahead, "he moved this way" Orrick nodded and sighed heavily as he looked around him, how could anyone tell the difference of which direction they were headed? If someone turned him about right now he could not find his way out. Orrick had many skills that would recommend him, tracking however, was sadly not one of them. It would always frustrate him when Roderick and Aiden used to be able to do it so easily and he would get lost or never knew which direction the deer had gone to. His mind fell to his younger brother, he remembered those days with a bittersweet fondness, when he was young and healthy and had his entire future ahead of him. He could not imagine the torment he must now be going through being unable to help his wife himself, and how he must blame himself for the turn of events. Orrick sighed once again and moved to keep pace with his men.

**

Roderick was in his own personal purgatory. Helpless to do anything to fix a situation he blamed himself for. He did not know what to do with himself anymore, he paced, he threw things, he shouted at his poor servants, who thankfully were aware of the situation and excused their normally mild mannered king. He paced some more.

"My Lord, you should eat something and rest yourself" urged one of the servants, "we will know as soon as there is news" she said pleadingly.

"I cannot eat! How can you think I can eat now Tilde?" he all but roared at her, he instantly regretted it, he hated feeling useless and powerless, he was the King for crying out loud!

"I am so sorry dear Tilde, I am just anxious, I did not mean to behave like a monster" he apologized, drawing in a heavy sigh. The shaken woman dropped to a curtsy and left the room without another word.

He wished with all of his aching heart that she was safe and that she was unhurt.

**

Lisa broke free of the surface of the icy water with a gasp, sucking in deep greedy breaths of air back into her starved lungs. Her eyes lifted to where they fell from, she can't believe that he took them both over the edge of that! What she also couldn't believe was that she was alive. Where was Aiden? She looked around the empty surface of the lake horrified,

"I'm right here lass, doona fash yourself" his voice came from behind her, Lisa spun around in the water to face him, he pushed his wet hair from out of his eyes, he looked at her with a mixture of concern and some hint of amusement that this wee little thing would be concerned for him. Just then, Lisa made the most undignified combination of splashes closing the distance between them in the water she flung her arms around his neck. He sighed and held her a moment, allowing her to feel the relief and security she needed to feel from his presence. They made their way to the bank of the lake, cold and soaked through to the bone but alive.