Chapter Twenty Four - The Grand Finale

Start from the beginning

I am brought to the bedside and my restraints are removed. My head lulls to one side, my body is still numb thanks to whatever the syringe contained. I feel hands slip beneath my knees and my back and I am lifted up off the gurney and placed onto the bed. I happen to be placed on my side, so I watch the man in the room with me as he unpacks my supplies and leaves them on the table for me.

He then places a letter on the table – one which I know already is addressed to me – and he turns back to me once more. He smiles cruelly; his teeth are yellow, indicating he is a smoker that neglects his teeth. He then turns and exits the room, not glancing at me again. As the door closes, my eyes open.

***

I realise that I am no longer dreaming. I have awoken in real life and the scene which I stare at before me, makes me shudder with fear. I notice that the boat is not moving any longer, we are in the middle of open water and it is still pitch black – I must not have been asleep for very long. Standing in front of me is Aaron; he has a look of sheer terror painted across his face. He does not dare speak. Standing with what looks like a tazer in her hand – pressed to Aaron’s neck – is Niamh.

She is wet, her hair hangs down by her and she looks exhausted – she has large black bags under her narrowed eyes. She is covered in dirt and blood and bruises, reminders of what we thought we were leaving behind on the island when we climbed into this boat. She is grinning maliciously at me; there is a crazed look in her eyes.

‘’Hello Alice,’’ she smirks.

‘’I...you...’’ I slur my words, I am in so much shock that I cannot speak properly, ‘’how?’’

She smiles evilly, she is relishing in my worry, my horror.

‘’How?’’ I demand again, more persistent this time.

‘’Well when I saw you both fighting Alex and Kate, I figured I’d better bide my time and wait for the perfect chance to strike. You would have overpowered me otherwise. I fled and then I waited outside your starting building until you guessed the word correctly. Then, as soon as the door opened I snuck onto the boat, hiding beneath the ropes and life vests. It was too simple really.’’

‘’But why?’’

‘’Because I can’t let you leave this island with the information you have. That really is a no-no I’m afraid.’’

‘’Niamh...’’ I begin, ‘’why are you doing this? Why are you working for them? I thought we were friends...’’

‘’We were friends; I was rather fond of you actually. But jealousy can very quickly warp a person’s opinion of somebody,’’ she explains, staring at me angrily.

‘’Jealousy?’’ I repeat, ‘’Why would you be jealous of me?’’

‘’Oh don’t start with this bullshit; you know exactly what I mean. You’re oh so modest, aren’t you Alice? So perfect...you’re a fucking joke.’’

‘’Niamh what are you-‘’ I begin, feeling extremely confused.

‘’Oh shut it!’’ she roars, ‘’stop playing dumb you stupid bitch!’’

I actually jump in shock at her sudden outburst and want to run, but being in the middle of unknown waters in a boat doesn’t give me much options. The fact that she has Aaron in her grasp is also quite frightening. I couldn’t leave him behind. Not again.

‘’But what about the night we went to the cinema? The night we were abducted?’’ I question.

‘’What about it?’’

‘’You knew that was going to happen?’’ I ask.

‘’Obviously?’’

‘’You’re the reason I’m here? You chose me?’’

She nods her head, ‘’don’t act like such a victim.’’

‘’So what’s this then?’’ I ask.

‘’This? Well this is the grand finale,’’ she smirks.

‘’Niamh, I don’t know what you plan on doing, but please. Don’t,’’ I begin, pleading with the girl.

‘’Don’t do what?’’ she asks, ‘’this?’’

At that moment, she squeezes the tazer in her hand and Aaron’s body begins to convulse. It is over as quickly as it started, but his body goes limp in her grasp. She grins maliciously at me and then throws Aaron from the boat.