CHAPTER 11

On November 3rd, 2015, precisely three months and one week after our marriage, I can vividly recall that day. It stands out in my memory because Waheed and Abdul returned from Scotland and my husband and I went home to join them for a family reunion.

The transformation of those two guys was astonishing. Abdoul's hair had grown remarkably long, even surpassing Waheed's hair, and his skin had become brighter than mine.

Eiman was the most elated among us, especially at Abdoul's return, despite his penchant for squabbles with her.

Interestingly, Waheed had become more reserved than before. I couldn't discern if this change was genuine or if he was merely adopting a façade of a "mature and humble man."

While he had always exhibited humility, his current silence was uncharacteristic. It was Abdoul who was known for his quiet and introverted nature.

This transformation in Waheed left me perplexed, prompting me to ponder the reasons behind it.

That day, my mom cooked an array of dishes, and while my dad was present, Uncle Farhan had not yet returned from Lagos. Fortuitously, my sisters Amina, Habiba, and Eiman were all on holiday. Eiman was in SS2, Habiba in JSS3, and Amina in JSS1, all studying at Musa Iliasu College.

I invited my best friend Zarah to join me at home, confident that she'd be excited to have another chance to interact with Waheed.

What struck me as amusing was that Haneed orchestrated the plan to drop me off at my parent's house for a two-day stay. However, he didn't mention that he was planning to stay there as well. Although it wasn't his original intention to spend the night at my parent's house, upon seeing Amina and Waheed at the front entrance, he changed his mind. He decided to join in the festivities taking place there.

I suspected his change of heart was influenced by Waheed's presence, which seemed to have an intimidating effect on him.

I couldn't fathom why Haneed had always been suspicious of Waheed, starting from their initial meeting.

Conversely, Waheed also held unfavorable feelings toward Haneed. If he had the authority, he would have likely prevented my marriage to Haneed.

It wasn't until I closely observed their interactions that I realized competition existed among men too.

Dad inquired about how I was coping with Haneed's epilepsy issue when I visited him in his private visitor's room. I couldn't help but imagine Dad's expression if he knew that Haneed's condition was a combination of epilepsy and psychosis. I chuckled involuntarily, prompting Dad to ask the reason for my laughter.

Snapping out of my reverie, I assured him that I was managing well and explained that my laughter stemmed from remembering his nervousness during one of Haneed's hospitalizations.

Dad admitted he had never encountered an epilepsy case before, which led to his anxiety.

Conversely, Mom encouraged me to convince Haneed to stay the night at our house for the day's celebrations. Unbeknownst to her, he had already made up his mind to do so.

Zarah greeted me with delight, her happiness compounded by the sight of Waheed once again.

Although I intended to provide them some space during the meal, we ended up in the dining room with Haneed, who had been shadowing me all day. Despite my efforts to give them privacy, Haneed followed me wherever I went. I had to excuse myself to get him to leave too, which he did.

Taking two cups of mint tea to my room, I handed one to Haneed. I considered teasing him about his continuous presence, but his demeanor deterred me. I offered him a novel, but he seemed more engrossed with the laptop he had been carrying around.

When I moved to fetch some chilled water from the freezer, Haneed halted me, questioning my departure. My laughter at his expression—essentially asking if I couldn't stay in one place—seemed to bewilder him. He inquired if I was done laughing, and I responded with a dry "yes."

After explaining my need to fetch water, he advised me not to take too long—attempting to assert control over my actions within my own home.

Upon arriving at the dining room, I found Zarah there alone, with Waheed absent. I gestured with my face for an explanation, and Zarah informed me that Waheed had left for prayers after our departure.

Shaking my head, I retrieved the water from the fridge. I told Zarah to visit Eiman's room after eating, assuring her I'd join her shortly, to which she agreed.

In my room, Haneed appeared drowsy, preparing to shut his laptop. I inquired if he wanted more food, but he expressed his desire to nap and asked that I remain beside him until he woke.

To avoid potential conflicts, I obliged. Thus, the hours passed quickly that day.

I began sensing that I had gained significance in Haneed's eyes due to the way he was treating me. I perceived his behavior as indicative of his insecurities, likely stemming from a suspicion that Waheed harbored feelings for me.