Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Newport News Virginia has always been a quite town, minus the pesky cries of the cicadas. Humidity draped over the town like a damp towel, and the sun would fall around 7 leaving the city of Newport News dark and peaceful by 8. Cheeky neighbors welcomed every one with smiles and fresh baked cookies, a simple town where every one knew everything about each other, good and bad, or at least they thought they did.

I moved here to Newport News when I was 8 years old. My father is a homicide detective, and we were assigned to move here after the Virginia Tech bombing about 10 years ago. Getting adjusted was pretty tough for my mom and I. I, Cell Reeds yes cell like a cell-phone, had to go to a new elementary school where all the kids had gone to school their entire lives. But now at 18 it feels as if all the kids I grew up with and went to school with have become family. My mother on the other hand was sick when we moved, and she was not getting better. We later found out she had a tumor in her heart, and was diagnosed with stage three cardiac cancer. 3 years later she passed away.

My dad and I are very close. Ever since my mother died we helped each other out. I took up the role that my mother left behind by cleaning and cooking meals. I have even helped my dad on many investigations. We sit down at night and scatter out the information on the dinning room table working together to try and solve the mystery. Unfortunately, I have to admit that this case is by far the hardest to solve.

There has been a cereal killer on the lose. He kills people at random but all the exact same way. Like a snake he stalked his prey quietly 2 steps behind them. Calling them with disturbing messages and feeding off their fear, until he finds you when you are least expecting it. He shoots the person with a shot of adrenalin that quickly puts the heart in over drive killing the victim by a heart attack.

My father Detective Reeds, and I have been on this case for about 2 months now, and every time we think we get somewhere we end up getting even more confused. The town has become even more hectic because the cases are at random it has disturbed this peaceful neighborhood.

I was in the car with my dad, as we drove to Dale Browns' house for dinner.

Dale was the popular guy in school, he had the looks, with his dirty blonde hair that was cut in a way where the strands of his hair would fall onto his forehead never passing his eyes, but when he brushed it to the side it would just barely touch the edge of his dark brown thick eyebrows. His hair in such a contrasting color to his eyebrows framed his clear blue eyes perfectly, His eyes were a light blue on the edges and as the color came closer to the pupil it lightened to a grey, his left eye had a few flecks of a darker blue making it so that once you looked into his eye it locked you there in a trace at how beautiful they were. Of course they were surrounded in a perfect halo of dark black eyelashes that any girl would be jealous of. His tanned skin was apparently natural with his freckles that scattered lightly on his cheeks. Dimples that made every girls heart squeal, light pink plump lips, that everyone dreamed of kissing, I mean some straight guys would even have a man crush on him. His tall, and muscular frame was thanks to genetics and the start quarterback of he football team. And that's just his looks; he has the brains, head of the Spanish, French, and Book Club. 4.0 all through high school, perfect score on the SAT, earning him a full ride to Stanford. Obviously he could have any girl he wanted. He knew this too and to me he went along life as a high egoed arrogant dick.

His father, Steve Brown, tall, built, handlebar mustache fifty year old man, is head of the police in all of Virginia, my father and him work together on operations quite often, growing a very tight friendship. Sadly that meant that I was dragged along to the dinners to tolerate his son with tedious conversations' for the dinners they invite us over for.