[Akane's Birthday!] oo8

I skipped along my Division in happiness. Today was December 25th, Christmas and my birthday! Although, we don't really celebrate Christmas like they do in the world of the living. I was waiting for people to stop and say Happy Birthday to me, but no one did. They just went about their duties, rushing around to get things done. It was like I was completely invisible, and it confused me to no end. 

I'm sure everyone knew it was my birthday, I mean, it was kind of hard to forget someone's birthday that was celebrated on an important day like this from the human world. I shook my head and brushed these happenings off as nothing and went on about my business. But then I was stopped by my Captain, and I had to bite the inside of my cheek from smiling stupidly. He was going to be the first to tell me Happy Birthday! I just knew it.

"Hey, Captain! How are you feeling this morning?"

He smiled down at me as he juggled a large stack of papers in his hands. "I feel wonderful, thanks for asking. Would you mind doing these papers for me? Kaien is away on an assignment, and I was just summoned by the Head Captain and I haven't a clue when I would return."

Startled by his request, I started to stutter out a response when the papers were pushed into my arms.

"Thanks a lot, Akane-chan, I shall return soon!" he gave a grin and a wave as he walked away.

Completely flabbergasted, I started to walk back to my office, but in a more sullen mood. Surely my Captain couldn't have forgotten my birthday, but it did appear that way.

I had been doing the paperwork the Captain has asked me to for almost two hours now and he still wasn’t back yet. My mood quickly deteriorating, I decided to head out to get some air.

What was up with everyone today? Everyone couldn’t have possibly forgotten it was my birthday. Not only did it mildly piss me off but it upset me immensely. I mean, even Toriomaru hasn't told me Happy Birthday! Scratch that, she hasn't even spoke a word to me at all.

I decided to sit on a large boulder by a frozen up pond in the 13th Division, a flowerless cherry blossom tree hanging above. It was very chilly and breezy, and the snow that still covered the ground made it even colder. I didn’t care though, my mind was preoccupied with other things at the moment.

I figured while I was out here, I could try and reach Toriomaru. I slid the blade from its sheath and stabbed the tip of it into the boulder, in front of where I sat. I set my sheath to the side of me, and I closed my eyes and let out a sigh, concentrating. 

When I opened my eyes again, I was in my inner world. I was standing on patchy plain of never ending luscious green grass, different types and colors of flowers scattered about. A large body of water in front of me was glittering in the warm sunlight.

Definitely a change from the frigid winter, and I loved it.

Boulders were here and there, along with a swaying cherry blossom tree hanging over a dock that overlooked the water. You would think for a water based Zanpakuto, there would be more, well, water. Or a more ocean beach type deal, but no. There were grass and trees and flowers, and a large body of water that I wouldn’t even be able to call a lake, ocean, nor sea. This water was just never ending and it went on and on for miles from what I could tell. I guess since Toriomaru was a bird and her element was water-based, my inner world divided up those two environment types for her wellbeing.

I looked around to spot the blue-haired woman but seen no sight of her.

"Toriomaru?" I called out, perplexed. I blinked and turned over my shoulder where I heard soft prancing in the grass, it was almost like wind brushing against the fine green blades of grass.