Chapter 7

It's been two days since we left Indiana and since I got myself and Cassidee tested. My sanity is no longer a part of me because I haven't been able to focus correctly on anything! Two main concerns cross my mind day and night. Nonstop.

The first one: Is Cassidee mine? I mean this little girl was suddenly and dropped on my doorstep! I mean sometimes I see a resemblance, but then I second guess myself and think different. Plus, since she doesn't say too much about her mom, it doesn't help. Then she mentioned the mom's boyfriend, it could be possible.

The second thought that I have is: If she doesn't turn out to be mine, what'll happen to her? Where will she go? She has no other family to contact and putting her in a foster home wouldn't be the best idea. I've heard things about foster homes and it's not good either. If Cassidee doesn't turn out to be mine I still want her to stay with me.

Right now she's sitting at the small table drawing with Angelo. He hasn't said too much since she's joined us. I know a small child in our group and her surroundings sound out of the ordinary, but she's not a big problem. Cassidee doesn't complain, whine or cry. Except for that breakdown she had the other night.

Truthfully, when she was left with me and the guys I'd for sure thought she'd be scared of us or at least gawk like most of them do, but she didn't. It seemed like Cassidee needed a place to fit in and she found the place.

"I'm all done!" She cheered.

"Let me see." I smiled. Cassidee got up, grabbing her paper, and crawled into my lap. She held up the piece of paper in my face and pointed to eight figures.

"Is that me and the guys?" I pointed to the six of us. She nodded her head, smiling.

"That's you and who's this? Mom?" Cassidee nodded her head again.

"Cass, I know it's hard, but do you have any small memory of where Mommy said she was going?"

"A place."

"What kind?"

''Don't know. Just a place.''

I sat there and stared down at the paper that Cassidee held in her little hands. The figure she'd drawn had brown hair, was somewhat tall, and what appeared to be holding a bottle.

"Cass? What's this?" I pointed to the bottle.

"Mommy's medicine." Medicine?

"Medicine? Was Mommy sick? Is that why she had to leave?"

"Sometimes. She always threw up all the time." What in the hell did this kid witness around her mother?

"Dude, stop interrogating her." Angelo looked up from his sketchpad.

"I'm only trying to figure out what's going on here. Something was going on before Cassidee was left with me. Plus, why are you getting so defensive if I ask her questions about her mother?"

''I'm not. I'm just saying she's a little kid and she wouldn't know what her mother was doing if she was doing something!''

''So you're implying she's stupid?''

''Oh my god!'' Angelo put down the sketchpad. ''No, Chris! Cassidee isn't going to know whether the things her mom did were good or bad. Most four-year-olds are off playing with their toys, not being up to their parents' asses all day.''

Cassidee gasped as she heard those words come out of Angelo's mouth. I patted her thigh in reassurance and started back up with Angelo.

''You know how kids get into stuff or see their parents doing something. They're going to question, whether it be good or bad.''

''Yeah, I know that and most four-year-olds don't know what's going on there, that's why they question their parents, but if you keep filling her head with questions every day she's going to get confused. Cassidee probably has a vague memory of what was going on.''

''Why are standing up for her when you didn't even want her to be tagging along with us?'' I was starting to get frustrated with him.

''You were the one who suggested we bring her along! Need I remind you I'm not always a heartless bastard!"

Words were starting to become louder as Angelo and myself kept throwing words at each other. I saw Ricky and Josh peek their heads out from their bunk curtains, as Devin and Ryan peeked from the front.

''Well, you've been acting pretty shitty towards me and my daughter about it.''

"You don't even know if she's your daughter or not!''

''STOP FIGHTING!!" Cassidee screamed as she stood up on the couch. Ricky came out from the bunk, picking her up, and carried her away from the heated argument.

I looked down at my feet and saw that Cassidee's picture had fallen to the floor. I picked it up and set it in my lap.

''I'm sorry, dude. I know you want her, I see how she makes you happy. I shouldn't have said that in front of her.''

''It's fine. I've just been going insane for two days because I don't know what these results are going to say. I don't want her out there alone.''

''I know and you're doing good. You're protecting her. I know she'd have no one if she turned out not to be yours.''

''Yeah, she would.''

''You mean?"

''Yeah, I'm going to keep her. The poor kid needs some sort of love and affection. But I'm going to see if she's all right back there.''

I got up from the couch and headed to the back, but before I go any further, I stopped and wrestled up Angelo a little, laughing.

''Go check on your daughter, dude.''

I smiled, going into the back and pulled back Ricky's curtain to see Cassidee's arms around Ricky's neck while low, little sobs were coming from her.

''Is she ok?"

''Yeah, just shaken up. She didn't need to be hearing all that.''

''I agree. Cassidee?'' I touched her shoulder, trying to get her to turn around. ''There is no more fighting. It's okay, you can come out.'' She slowly turned around, tear-stained face, arms still latched onto Ricky's neck. I smiled at her and opened my arms.

''I don't get any love?"

Cassidee smiled at me, letting go of Ricky, and jumped into my arms. I picked her up, wrapping her tiny legs around myself, and carried her back out to the front.

"She ok?" Angelo asked.

I nodded my head, sitting back down with her on my lap, and rested my chin on top of her head.

"Cassidee, I'm sorry your dad and I had some words.''

Cassidee turned around, smiling at Angelo. ''It's okay Ange. I luff you.''

''Glad to know.''

I chuckled at Cassidee and ruffled up her hair. Yeah, she belongs in here.