Chapter 9

Chapter Eight:

  Derek’s POV

     Derek willed himself to move but every time he tried his muscles froze with shock. The sight of Stiles being brutally attacked by Anastasia has sent him over the edge. All he had to do was just go over there and yank the bitch off of him, but Derek couldn’t. His heart was breaking and the pain was paralyzing him. That didn’t mean he was going to stand by and watch this happen. He fought through his agony. Derek marched right up to Anastasia as she was delivering probably her hundredth slap to Stiles precious face.

     Derek grabbed her hand by the wrist, twisting it slightly. Anastasia winced and her attention on Stiles was long forgotten.

   “Derek what are you doing?”

     Her eyes were filled with fear.

    Derek was satisfied she was frightened. He wasn’t going to let her harm his man anymore.

    “Don’t you ever lay a finger on him again” he snarled threatening and twisted her wrist more.

     Anastasia whimpered like a puppy that just got scowled by his/her owner. Derek was serious. If the bitch defies him than there’s no telling what he would do. He was then afraid of his unpredictable emotions. He was always in control of them but now he had lost it. Stiles stared nervously in between them. Derek wanted nothing more but to hug him tight. His beautiful face was battered with bloody scratches and soon to be bruises.

    Derek’s super sensitive nose detested the scent of blood. Stiles were strangely tolerable.

   “Why are you protecting him?”

    “Because” said Derek, his words having no idea to form a proper sentence.

      Taking a much needed breath, he sighed. Derek released Anastasia’s wrist and she was appalled by his sudden action. She placed a hand to his cheek in a way that was supposed to be gentle. But Derek found it far from that. It was the same damn hand she used to attack Stiles. He quickly shifted away from it.

“Because I love him”

    Derek blushed a fierce, deep red. He felt exposed because he had finally said it. His true feelings for Stiles. Anastasia wasn’t clearly happy about it either. Her lips were in a tight line, her eyes boring heavily into Derek’s. Water floated in the surface of her eyes. Obviously she was going to cry to make him feel bad. But it wouldn’t work. Not this time. Derek was done with her shit. No amount of tears will make him put up with her again.

   For Derek to pursue a relationship with Stiles, she needed to know that.

   “I want you to leave me alone, Anastasia…forever”

      She cringed at his words, letting a couple of tears to drop.

  “You can’t possibly mean that”

  “But I do” Derek said firmly.

    Anastasia shook her head, refusing to believe none of this.

    “You say you love him but you don’t. You’re just going through a phrase. Yeah that’s it; a stupid phrase and you will come to your senses and realize it’s me you want. Me!” she shouted passionately.

     She grabbed Derek’s collar, pulling him to her. Derek yanked away from her.

   “Stop it. You’re embarrassing yourself!”

   “I don’t care. You’re worth it. Your worth this fight”

      She wasn’t going to let him go that easy. She was determined to keep him. Derek didn’t know what else to do. He found his gaze suddenly on Stiles who looked at him with grief. In that look, Derek understood. Stiles was feeling bad for Anastasia. Derek didn’t want that. After all that wrench has done to him, he should have felt glad that he was rejecting her. Stiles wasn’t that type of person. He was kind to people, a little awkward but had a huge heart.

   “You’re going to have to give this fight up Anastasia because I’m not changing my mind. My decision is final”

   “No!” she cried and her tears streamed like a waterfall.

     Derek brushed past her to Stiles. He laced their hands with one another, a smile beaming bright on his lips. Stiles smiled too. Derek sensed he was still worried about Anastasia and he wanted to change that. Leaning downwards to him, Derek’s lips smooched Stiles. Their kiss was passionate and lasted for minute. When they pulled away, their smiles were wider than the ocean as well as their love for each other.

   “Let’s go” Derek’s voice said.

     Stiles nodded and they began walking away. But Anastasia’s angry yell made them pause.

   “Your relationship won’t last for a month. No, I take that back. It won’t last even a week”

     “You’re wrong” Stiles calmly spoke. “Watch us”

      Derek allowed Stiles to lead him out of the room and the building of the hospital. As they were walking to their cars, Derek was thinking about Anastasia’s words. Her bitterness caused him to have second chances. Could he and Stiles love really survive a week or more? He didn’t know the answer but he did have faith. And maybe that was enough for him to keep on going.

A/N: So this is the end of Shelter. I will post the epilogue tomorrow and afterwards I will upload a new Sterek story. Thank you for all my lovely readers for tagging along with me on this journey. You guys seriously rock!