The Royal Thrive - Chapter 37 - Shattered

Start from the beginning

“Are you happy now? Noah isn’t even in the state anymore to take that throne, he’s already as good as dead. Sitting next to Raine’s body and not moving an inch” Leaning on her open palm her eyes look into a distant, “Nathan, one day you will understand why I’m doing the things I am now.” “Save it” Holding my palm out I look at my watch- it’s time. Turning to leave the room I look behind me once more - my mother is watching my back. 

“I owe you a thanks” 

“Huh?”

“That time when Leo suddenly slaughtered everyone at the Eclipse Moon pack. He thrown me into a safety room. Even though he didn’t say anything, I knew it was your order. I in fact owe you a lot, I owe you my life because you gave this life to me. However, I’m afraid this life I can only spend to stop you from falling further into a pit of hatred and darkness. I’ll make up for it in the afterlife.” 

Saying that my mother never or doesn’t love me anymore is a complete lie, to her I know I am the only existence left that she can cling onto. If we hadn’t been royalty, or if my mother hadn’t thought and turned into a wrong path. Perhaps, we including Noah’s mother could have been still living happily together right now. 

Heading towards the medical room where Raine is staying my heart drops knowing that it has been almost two weeks since she’s been as good as dead. The bite on her neck was so deep if we had stayed in that place any longer the silver would’ve completely killed her wolf thus killing her because she cannot heal. Not only that but the doctors had said not only is she suffering physically she is psychologically traumatised, possibly by the death of Anna and her near death experience too. We thought that maybe the mate bond between her and Noah could help but nothing happened. 

Noah whom suffered quite a few injuries recovered, but even he is as good as dead. He hasn’t shaved for two weeks, his eyes are bloodshot. All this time he hasn’t left her side, he’s determined to wake her up with his presence. As for me of course my wolf had been dying inside, yet the news of Anna didn’t shock me. I knew it was coming, yet even though I wasn’t shocked I still fell into a few moments of depression. I feel empty inside, but would it be cruel to say that it is a good ending? We will never have a happy ending. 

“Noah” I started but he doesn’t even bother looking at me, all he’s looking at is Raine. Pale and clinging onto her life thanks to the machines the sight of it depresses me, we’re so hopeless and weak. Planting my hand on Noah’s shoulder he manages to shrug it off. “Don’t be like this. Look at you Noah, you haven’t shaved for days. I’d mistake you for a hermit” After hearing my comment he scoffs bitterly, “What difference is there, if Raine leaves me alone in this world. I’m alone, I’ll just be like a hermit. If she dies, I will follow her” Immediately his words anger me “Stop saying things like that! Who is going to save father?! Who is going to-“ “I don’t care” “Stop fucking about!” Grabbing his collar he doesn’t even look at me, he isn’t even willing to let go of Raine’s pale hand. “Noah, get a hold of yourself. Please.” 

All my life I’ve never really used a voice like this speaking to him, I always thought he was someone fun to bully and tease. Yet unlike everyone else in the palace, he treats me like an normal guy, a younger brother. Not a prince, not a noble. “It’s not just you who is waiting for her to wake up. We all are, and she will wake up when the time comes. So why don’t you spend that time you spend waiting at her bedside doing things she could’ve done during that time? Wasn’t it you who wanted to protect her and even shut down your own wolf to stop the mate bond temporarily? Look at you now! If my mother makes a move you wouldn’t even be able to defend yourself.” Spitting the words out Noah stays silent, he presses his lips in a thin line. He knows that he’s a pathetic excuse for a man right now. 

“What am I going to do if she leaves me behind during this time when I could’ve been by her side. Eve-“ “Fuck off Noah. We don’t have time thinking about things like that. You of all people should know, time is cruel and doesn’t stop for people. You’re no different. You came back here to save the werewolf kingdom so you finish what you’ve started; right now you sound just as irresponsible as I was before. Running away from the truth, running away from pain.” 

Why am I saying this? I don’t even sound normal anymore. I think, I finally realise it’s about time to drop the arrogant prince act. 

“If I wanted to I would’ve followed Mina, and even Anna to the afterlife. Yet I didn’t not because I am scared of death but I was afraid of what I’d leave behind. I’m pretty sure Raine wouldn’t want to see you like this. Do her a favour and yourself a favour” nodding at him I let go of his collar, he drops back onto his seat as if he has no energy left to stand. 

He then suddenly lift his left hand up and stare at it, slowly clenching it he sighs. “Do you remember Nathan?” - “What?” He turns and look at me, with a sad smile. “In the past whenever we used to fight over a toy, or anything. You’d always win, and so I learnt that anything that you find important and treasurable can always disappear within seconds. I detached myself, and in this process I never manage to make any bonds with anyone apart from you. Now I wish I had more courage from the start; if only I had been brave enough to face Raine immediately after finding her as my mate. Our memories wouldn’t be so limited and bloodstained.” 

That smile on his face right now. No one, not even me could’ve looked so heartbroken as he is. 

“If Raine dies and I follow her, I won’t be able to remember her anymore.” 

Crossing my arms I breathe in deeply and out, “You know recently, I feel like a girl” “What?” Half laughing Noah glances over at me, I’m even laughing at myself here. “I feel as if I’m having a male version of PMS. My mood is going all over the place, jeez I haven’t felt so emotional since Mina died” Rubbing the back of my neck I hear Noah’s chair squeak, and sensing him near me he ruffles my hair like I’m a child. “Good boy” He smiles before I slap his hand away. “Go and get a shave and a wash. I’m starting to see fleas” Brushing pass him I take his seat, and nodding towards the door he smiles weakly before slowly exiting the room. 

Before you leave please kindly leave a vote and a comment below! :)