Chapter 4- Ethereal

Chapter 4- Ethereal (adj.) extremely delicate, light, not of this world.

Author's Note: Major editing is needed, feel free to read. This chapter is put up for my readers.

My hesitation at first was telling me to not step forward, but to step back. I didn't want to be a coward and give money to my drunk off father. Neither did I want the mother that raised me all these years to get beat in front of my eyes. I closed my eyes for a deep second, clenching my fists. 

I could do it. 

And so I did. I opened the door of the small cafe, walking with a stuttering step and welcomed by the smell of fresh coffee beans and sweet smell of baking goods. It was a long time since I had one of those savoury treats, or even worse it had been long since I even lay foot in one of these shops.

"Welcome to Western Café, how may I help you?" I pried my eyes off the billboard in front of me and came face to face with an almost elderly, mid to my mother's age, lady shooting me a wide smile.

I didn't smile back, but bit my lip. Was I really wanting to get a job for my mother and father? The shit I do for them. Maybe I can just turn around and walk out, and pretend that this never happened. Or I could just go back home and tell my mother I can't.

But did I really want that? I was supposed to not care. But something kept pulling me forward.

"How may I help you?" I broke from my trance and stared into the hazel eyes that spoke to me. It's now or never.

"Can I apply for a job, here?" I asked masking in my shady voice to a more normal voice. The lady's smile disappeared and her eyes wandered down to my choice of clothing.

Great job, punk. You couldn't even remember to wear decent clothes. Sighing I went to turn around but a gentle tug made me freeze in my tracks.

"Stop!" I heard the lady yell. I turned to my left and watched the lady walk closer.

"I am so sorry. That was mean of me to do that. Of course you can apply for a job." Her wide smile embraced her pearly white teeth. A small smile made way to my face but changed my composure and nodded slowly.

"You can work as the cashier here."

"Great." I muffled and gently looked towards the counter overhead her shoulder. The lady pointed towards the machines around me and specifically taught me how to use some of them. Forwadly most of them seemed pretty simple to use, but some seemed to confuse my brain. Why did people even want to drink sugary drinks?

"I forgot to tell you my name." She said slightly laughing. "It's Kaitlyn."

"I'm Tyler." I bit my lip and looked away. Hopefully she wouldn't recognize me. Because the shop was away from town, there was a least chance that she wouldn't know. But everyone seemed to know about my crazy family.

"Oh, great Tyler. Well I hope you enjoy your time working at this cafe. I am just going to be at the back calculating stock items. In the meantime you can clean the counters and if a customer comes, just take their order and supply their drinks. You can keep the tips, if they give you any."

"Yea, sure."

Her footsteps echoed down the hall and walked into the back way of the store. Sighing I grabbed the small towel that was hung near the bathroom and began wiping away the rough polished tiles.

-

-

-

The bell of the store rung through my ears and I looked up from cleaning the counter. My eyes scanned the whole cafe and froze as I met the brown same eyes, that had been running through my head this whole few days.

That same brown hair, same brown eyes and same exact person. That chilling voice and bright smile appeared on her face as soon as she made her way in.

Boy was she pretty.

"Hey." A hand waved against my face as I blinked to focus around my surroundings. Did I really just begin day dreaming?

My eyes landed on the girl standing before me. Up close she was much prettier.

"What can I get you?" I sloppily said cursing under my breath. I couldn't be more friendly?

"Hey aren't you the guy that knocked me down?" Her finger pointed against her chin as she looked up towards the ceiling, in thoughts. God Damnit. Why had I made a fool of myself? I couldnt even mutter a sorry to her.

For some reason I didnt want her to think so badly of me.

"What can I get you?" I threw fake smile across my face ignoring her comment. Her smile replaced with a small frown but then lifted upwards shaking her head. She was way to bubbly. I hated that. Why did she have to smile like that.

"A pumpkin spice latte."

I watched her teeth suck in her lip. My lips getting dry the next second. My eyes lingering on the soft pink lips. Why did she need spice when she already looked so spicy? Hissing my teeth at my sudden thought, I angrily pushed the buttons on the cashier pad and calculated her total.

"$3.75"

She slightly chuckled while finding a purse through her bag. She pulled out a small pink purse and rummaged through the folders pulling out a few dollar coins. Getting out a few she placed them gently on the counter and I slowly counted the coins. My eyes lifted towards hers and took in her small frame.

Why was I being so sappy? I really didn't like the way I was acting. Normal Tyler would scoff at girls who wore tight crop tops and super short shorts. But this girl, was like a hidden gem who were a baggy sweatshirt with a super tight pair of leggings. She didn't seem so fazed about her fashion sense. She seemed like me almost, who would just pull out the first thing from the closet that made way to my fingers.

"It is coming right up." I finally said rolling my eyes at my fake tone and walking towards the latte machine and hiding myself from her. I blew out a final breath pressing my palm against her heart.

My heart was beating very fast and it was because a brown haired girl had just captured my attention.