Chapter 2

Melody!!!!

"Melanie?"

Melanie's eyes flew open-the sound of her name being called yanked her out of the past and back to the present.

"Melanie dear, what's wrong?" her mother asked rushing to her side.

"Nothing." she whispered.

"Me-ow!" Melanie's cat Muffin purred weaving in and out of her legs.

"Nothing?! No-thing?! For God's Sake Melanie!" her mother cupped her face in both her palms tilting her head up so that she was forced to look into her mother's sea-green eyes, "Melanie, you're crying!"

Melanie brushed the fingertips of her right hand across her face. When she pulled them back they were wet with tears.

"I miss her. . ." Melanie's voice cracked with pain.

"Oh Melanie. . ." her mother sighed pulling Melanie's head on her chest and cradling her.

"Even though it's been three months I still can't believe she's gone forever. Sometimes I feel like she's merely on vacation and she'll just walk through the door calling "Hey Sis! Miss me?"with her bright goofy smile like she used to."

"I know darling." Melanie's mother soothed stroking her long brown hair which was stringy, damp, and limp from being stuck to her face by the tears.

Melanie sighed burying her face in her mother's chest as if hiding may take away a portion of the pain.

But something came between her and her mother's warm embrace. Something warm, something soft-like cashmere, and something that smelled fresh, sweet, and clean-a combination of fresh linen and shampoo which enveloped her, bringing back a flood of nostalgic memories. . .