Chapter Nineteen

It was quite a chilly night for the usually steamy New York summer, Zoricah thought, as she crouched beside Tardieh on the grass behind a large hedge plant.

The slaughterhouse complex in front of them consisted of two buildings bordered by an electrical fence, which was marked out by four surveillance towers. The main structure was a long warehouse with a tall, arched tin roof and concrete walls. Apart from the twelve small windows spread across the south and north walls, there were only two exits: the main one faced east, and a smaller one located on the opposite side. The second building was an abandoned cattle shed, which was being used as a makeshift parking lot.

After Hikuro and Joel had returned with the information Tardieh had asked, they'd narrowed down the list of possible slaughterhouses that could be sheltering their enemy's operations to three. After a little more digging, they'd found out that only one—located in Columbia County, about one-hundred-and-twenty-five miles north of New York City—had changed owners in the past two years and apparently was no longer in operation.

They had planned the surprise attack dividing the seven warriors into four groups. Sam, Yara, and Joel would attack from the south while Zoricah and Tardieh would once more create a diversion at the main gate located on the east side, attracting as many guards as possible, leaving Hikuro and Dyam clear to free the hostages likely being kept inside the main building.

But once they all arrived at the destination, expecting an abandoned slaughterhouse, they had quite a surprise. It was not abandoned; it was buzzing with activity. The high electrical fence was being guarded by four razbians positioned in the watch towers. There were heavily-armed razbian fighters in front of the main building, more by the fence's main gate, and a few more were removing contents out of the main building and loading them into two container trucks.

"Tardieh, they're relocating," Zoricah whispered.

"Vrajitor most likely didn't want to take any risks after we destroyed the farmhouse near Lake Placid," Tardieh agreed.

He was about to speed-dial their teams and order the attack when the house's main door burst open and two razbian's dragged out a group of fifteen or so female vampires. They were tied up in silver chains by the wrists and ankles, virtually blocking their ability to teleport themselves to freedom.

The two razbian guards poked them with their rifles, forcing them toward one of the container trucks. One of the females, who seemed to be a little less drugged than the others, tried to punch the guns out of their hands and was rewarded with the rifle's butt to her temple. She stumbled sideways, dragging the others down to the ground with her. The two razbians started kicking them to stand back up and, to Zoricah's despair, some females didn't even try to block their blows. After a few tense moments, the hostages managed to stand up and were promptly locked inside the container truck.

Zoricah saw Tardieh's fangs extend fully. He was breathing heavily, his bright red eyes locked on the two razbians abusing the female vampires. He was a reflection of her own anger boiling in her veins.