She scurried up the steps, clumsily missing a few before staggering into the room. She took no hesitation to run to window, pull it open and shove her head out. The window was right above the walkers who continued to pound against the glass. Taking the safety off, she squinted and peered down at the abhorrent beasts. She pulled the trigger and almost jumped back with nearly limp arms, but nonetheless, a walker fell with a thud.

She continued until they were reaching up at her, clawing and snarling with their ugly jaws. One by one, they were dropping dead. Only a few times the gun jerked and she missed.

After several minutes, Negan still hadn't appeared. She sent fleeting glances to the trees where he said he would be exiting, but there was no movement, not even a rustling of the leaves or a snap of a branch. She exhaled sharply and shook her head, convincing herself he would be there soon. There was no way he was injured, or dead. He was Negan.

There couldn't have been twenty walkers left when the man emerged from the ominous woods. A surge of relief washed over her and suddenly every muscle in her body relaxed. She loosened her arm, shook it a bit, and then sent another walker to the ground.

Negan had blood splattered across his cheek and over his white tee. She cursed herself mentally for not making him wear his jacket. It slipped her mind through the haziness and shock she was in. If a walker latched onto him and decided he was their next meal, it was unlikely they would be able to bite through leather easily. But his arms were bare and the pit of Vada's stomach swirled with uneasiness.

Clenching her jaw, Vada squinted and raised her gun, carefully aiming and shooting. He hurried up behind one and sent Lucille to the back of its skull. It felt with a groan and Negan was quick moving onto the next. Licking her lips, Vada shot at as many of them as she could until they were all focused on the live man in front of them.

Negan stumbled back, gripped Lucille with two hands and swung wildly. Vada jumped and jerked her gun back, mouth agape as she watched. It was something amazing and horrific. Blood splattered everywhere, over his face and clothes and all over the ground. His chest fell with a deep sigh and he gave one last swing before losing his balance and tripping over a loose branch.

Vada jumped, her eyes widening. She quickly aimed her gun at the creatures but they were much too close. There were at least three left, all closing in on him, snapping their jaws with a sick noise. Vada jerked her body, peering down below her to see if it was too high of a jump. It was. And walkers littered the grounds below, heaps of them piled and piled.

She cursed under her breath and hurried towards the door, down the stairs and out the back. He had managed to kill two, but there was still one atop his body, gnawing and growling. She almost heaved at the creatures dislocated jaw as she scurried forward, trying not to trip over her own feet. Negan's grumbles and obscenities were drowned out by the disgusting noises as he fumbled with the walker, twisting it's shoulders.

Vada jerked the walker off of him and and pushed down on it's rotting stomach. It snapped, clawed and bit at her but before it could sink it's teeth into her flesh, she positioned the gun at the base of it's skull and shot. She breathed sharply as the walker relaxed below her, it's movements faltering and shoulders slumping. She panted, crawled off and pulled her knees to her chest.

Negan was quick beside her. She stared down at the walker, her brow creased with fixation. She couldn't believe what had just happened. She couldn't believe they cleared the whole area, and almost died in the process.

She couldn't believe she had the chance to end everything, and she didn't. When she was shooting and didn't see him come from the trees, she worried. When the walkers attacked him, she panicked. And then she saved his life, and still, she held a gun between her lose fingers and the thought of killing him didn't even flicker through her mind. Vincent was right. She had changed, but she didn't want to go back.