1-Caught

It was the only thing that kept me going. The only thing that kept me sane. In all its packaged glory, sat a bag of microwavable chicken in the freezer. My family is starting to become concerned. Karen has been cooking chicken less and trying to hide it from me, especially because of recent events.
Four times in a span of two weeks I had been caught up past midnight, eating a plate of microwavable chicken by Karen.
She would just give a huge sigh, grab a plastic container from a cupboard, and put my chicken in the plastic container and place it in the freezer.

But tonight I had a different plan.

I made the chicken as quickly and as quietly as I could and retreated to the basement.
We had a tv recently installed in the basement so Mike and his friends could watch movies down in the basement instead of up in the living room, where they would make a ton of noise.
I turned on the tv and put on a football game, and kept it at the lowest volume possible.
I managed to finish my first and second pieces of chicken when I suddenly heard soft footsteps coming down the steps.
I turned to see Mike. He and I both had that "deer in the headlights look". He quickly dashed up the stairs, and I set down my plate and chased after him.
He was much faster, and made it to Karen and I's room first.

"Mom, dad was eating the chicken again!" Mike pretty much yelled.

Karen sat up and looked around.

Karen saw me, and she just shook her head again.

"Ted, this is the fifth time in 2 weeks we've caught you up past midnight earing chicken. This is ridiculous!" Karen practically yelled.

I didn't respond, I just grabbed a pillow and a blanket and decided to move down to the basement to sleep.

I did end up finishing that last piece of delicious chicken in all of it's breaded skin glory and crispy goodness.