SIX

THE ONE WITH THE BROKEN PACT

"I'm doing all new material tonight. I have twelve new songs about my mother's suicide and one about a snowman." Phoebe says as the group sits around the coffeehouse, warming themselves up from the snow outside.

"Might want to open with the snowman." Chandler says. Joey walks into the coffeehouse, shivering from the cold weather.

"Hey, Joe." Heather smiles.

"So, how'd it go?" Monica asks as Joey sits down in his usual chair.

"I didn't get the job." Joey sighs. Heather pats his leg in a comforting way, knowing Joey really wanted the job.

"How could you not get it? You were Santa last year."

"I don't know. Some fat guy's sleeping with the store manager. He's not even jolly. It's all political."

So, what are you gonna be?" Heather asks.

"I'm going to be one of his helpers, but it's just such a slap in the face, you know?"

"Hey, do you guys know what you're doing for New Years?" Rachel asks, taking a break from serving people the wrong drink. Everyone groans, getting upset at Rachel for bringing up the dreadful holiday.

"What is wrong with new years?" Rachel yells at the group, confused as to why they all hate the holiday.

"Nothing for you. You have Paolo. You don't have to face the horrible pressures of this holiday, the desperate scramble to find anything with lips just so you can have somebody to kiss when the ball drops!" Chandler yells at Rachel.

"Paolo is going to be in Rome this New Year's so I'll just be as pathetic as the rest of you."

"Yeah, you wish." Phoebe scoffs.

"I'm just sick of being a victim to this Dick Clark holiday. I say this year, no dates. We make a pact-- just the six of us, dinner." Chandler says.

The group responds with okay, going along with Chandler's plan. Heather was a little disappointed since she was crushing on a choreographer she had gotten the chance to work with on a few projects.

"Phoebe, you're on." Rachel says, pointing to the stage, where Phoebe would perform her very dark songs.

"Ladies and gentlemen, back by popular demand, Miss Phoebe Buffay." Rachel says into the microphone.