Chapter 38

Alex walked through the halls of the castle, nodding to people she crossed paths with. The crew of the Dawn Treader had returned the week before after delivering the citizens of the Lone Islands back to their homes. The people were overjoyed to be reunited with their loved ones.

Shortly after, the Narnians returned to their home as well. The people had welcomed them back with open arms, lining the streets to celebrate their homecoming. Though they had only been back a short time, Alex spent most of her time to herself. Too many things were going on in her mind for her to concentrate.

Alex let her feet lead her through the castle, not really knowing where she was going. She kept thinking about her brother and her friends. The people she had known for years were now gone. She felt a small hole in her heart, but she knew she would push through.

"Hey, Alex!"

The elf shook her head. She noticed she was outside. Caspian was standing a few feet away, a smile on his face. In his hand was a green cloak and behind him was Destrier and Thunderstrike. Alex raised an eyebrow as she walked towards him.

"What's this?" she asked.

The king shrugged.

"You haven't been yourself recently so I wanted to do something to cheer you up," he said. "I thought we could go for a ride."

Alex smiled at him.

"That sounds perfect."

He handed her the green cloak. Alex swung it over her shoulders. She had decided to wear a white short sleeve dress with a brown corset. Under her dress, she wore brown pants, along with brown boots. She had brown arm guards around her forearms.

 She had brown arm guards around her forearms

The two friends mounted their horses. Alex looked at Caspian.

"So where are we going?" she asked.

Instead of replying, he sent her a smirk and took off. Alex laughed and urged Thunderstrike to follow after the Narnian king.

~

"Caspian, what are we doing here?"

"You've been cooped up in the castle for almost a week. I thought you could use a little fresh air."

"But why Acilens?"

"You haven't been here in hundreds of years and the last time you were here, you were getting ready for a battle."

The two walked up the mountain pass until they reached the city. Alex couldn't help but smile a little at the sight. Caspian looked at her and smiled.

"What are you waiting for?" he asked. "Go ahead."

Alex walked towards the city, a smile on her face. She could hear Caspian walking behind her, soon moving to her side. The two walked in silence for several minutes before Alex spoke.