Chapter 12

"What are we going to do?"

"We have nowhere to go."

"It won't take long for the Calormenes to find us."

"We're going to die!"

"Will all of you calm down!" Tumnus exclaimed, effectively getting the area to become silent.

Every Narnian that survived the attack on Cair Paravel was sitting around the Dancing Lawn. Alex had led them there after they arrived at Beruna. It was now mid-day and they were trying to decide what to do now.

"Have you all nothing to be grateful for?" Tumnus asked. "We are alive and out of harm's way."

"But what about those we left behind?" someone said.

"They stayed to give us our freedom," Alex replied, speaking for the first time in hours.

Murmurs spread throughout the group.

"What are we going to do now?" a centaur boy asked as he held onto his mother.

Alex felt every set of eyes turn to look at her. She let out a nervous breath.

"We must be ready for the Calormenes," she stated. "For now, we will lay low here."

~

Alex stood at the edge of the Dancing Lawn with several talking beasts and centaurs standing behind her. In the distance, black dwarves, minotaurs, wolves, and other creatures were making their way towards the Narnians. Alex held her arm out when she heard some of the talking beasts growl.

"Stand down," she ordered. "Let's see what they want."

They waited for several more minutes as the creatures that aided the Witch grew closer to them. When they were within hearing range, Alex called out to them.

"Why have you come here?" she asked.

"Guardian of Narnia," a minotaur replied with a nod of its head. "We are in need of your assistance and guidance."

"Explain yourself," Alex said after a brief pause.

"We were minding our own business in our lands when these Calormenes came barging in and started killing us. They murdered our people, most in their sleep. Those that woke up at the first sounds of attack managed to get anyone they could out." The minotaur looked among the creatures following him. "We are the only ones remaining."

"What makes you think we shall believe you?" Beaver shouted.

"Beaver," Alex said, the sternness in her voice silencing him.

"We understand why you would not believe us," the minotaur continued. "Our people fought against yours. We followed the Witch. We have seen how you Narnians have lived these past years since the Sons of Adam and Daughters of Eve took to the thrones of Cair Paravel. You have lived in peace and kindness for years. It had made us realize our great mistake of following the Witch. She was never like that to our people. One wrong move and we were killed or turned to stone." The creature paused. "We ask for your forgiveness of our actions."

Alex kept her eyes on the creatures before her. She studied their faces, searching for any sign of a lie. The Narnians around her looked between her and the Witch's previous minions.

"You can't be serious, Alex," Beaver muttered.

Alex did not reply. Instead, she walked away from the Narnians and towards the minotaurs, wolves, and dwarves. She looked over every creature present.

"It is not us that you need your forgiveness from," she said. "If you wish to be forgiven, apologize to Aslan. You do this, and you become one of us. You will not harm another Narnian or turn against them. We work to take care of one another and keep each other alive. You join us, and this becomes your sworn duty. Are you sure you want to take on this task?"

The creatures looked amongst themselves as if silently asking one another the question. After a moment, the lead minotaur turned to face Alex. He nodded.

"We shall protect our fellow Narnians," he said.

Alex gave them a small smile.

"Then I bid you welcome."

~1019~

Years past since Cair Paravel was destroyed. The surviving Narnians took refuge at the Stone Table, building a sort of shelter around it to act as their base. They had begun to call it 'Aslan's How.'

There had been many battles between the Narnians and the invaders. The Narians had managed to hold them off, but were losing ground to the Calormenes.

Over the course of the past decade, the Narnians had lost many brave people. Their numbers were growing fewer. Alex knew this. She knew they couldn't keep this up for long.

Currently, the elf sat in a consul with representatives from nearly every race of creatures that lived in Aslan's How.

"We cannot keep going on like this," the dwarf, Lostac, stated. "Our numbers are growing fewer and fewer by the week. If we continue to live like this, Narnians will be extinct within the year."

"We must find some way to preserve our people," Surjus, the Minotaur's representative, said. He looked at the elf. "What do you suggest, Guardian?"

Alex sighed, feeling every eye turn to look at her. She had never felt so pressured before. She wasn't sure what to do.

Aslan, she thought, guide my decision.

She slowly looked up.

"You are right. Fighting the Calormenes will get us nowhere. We will continue decreasing in numbers. As you said, Surjus, we must protect our people."

She sighed once again, unsure how to continue with her words.

"We trust you, Alex." She glanced up at Clatral. He was Oreuis's nephew and her right hand. "We will stand by your side, no matter what orders you give us."

Alex nodded slowly.

"Here is what I suggest. All Narnians - talking beasts, dwarves, centaurs, minotaurs, dryads, trees, everyone - go into hiding."

"Are you sure?" Beaver questioned.

Alex nodded, though deep down, she was not sure at all.

"Narnians will remain to fight another day."