Chapter 27

Alex followed Caspian, Lucy, and Edmund into Caspian's study. The Pevensies looked around in amazement. Alex smiled at them and moved to sit by the window.

"Aslan," Lucy said, looking at a golden image of the Great Lion. She touched its face, smiling. Edmund looked at a picture on the wall of the High Kings and Queen. Lucy noticed something across the room. "Look. susan's bow and arrows."

"Lucy," Caspian said, getting her attention.

The girl turned around as Caspian pulled out a small box.

"My healing cordial," she said, recognizing the items inside, "and dagger." She reached for them but paused. "May I?"

"Of course," Caspian replied. "They're yours."

Lucy eagerly took her belongings.

"Peter's sword," Edmund said.

"Yes. I looked after it as promised." He walked towards Edmund and picked up the sword. "Here, hold it if you wish."

"No, no. It's yours. Peter gave it to you."

Caspian smiled at him.

"I did save this for you though," the king said.

He went to a cabinet and pulled out Edmund's metal torch. He tossed it to Edmund.

"Thanks," Edmund said.

He looked the torch over and pressed the button on the side. It suddenly turned on, shining right in his eyes. Alex chuckled. Edmund glanced at her, a smile on his face, and turned the torch off.

~

"Since you left," Caspian said, pointing to the map before the group, "the Giants of the North surrendered unconditionally, then we defeated the Calormen armies at the Great Desert. Not to mention defeating the Dark Elves."

"Dark Elves?" Lucy said, confused. She looked at Alex. "I thought they had fled into the North after the White Witch took control of Narnia."

"They did," Alex said. "But after the surrender of the Giants, they came out of hiding and began to threaten the Giants. We went to the North and fought the Elves."

"And how did it go?" Edmund asked. "From what I remember you telling us, elves can be pretty dangerous."

"They can be, but their leader was defeated and now the Dark Elves are Narnia's ally."

"I was captured by the elves," Caspian said. "Alex and Reep came to them and Alex made a bargain. She fought against their leader, Rixetin." He chuckled and a look of awe filled his eyes. "You should have seen it. I've never seen anyone more so fast and deadly. Alex glowed as she fought, quite literally, might I add." Alex rolled her eyes at him comment. "She won the battle, but Rixetin broke his oath by attacking Alex once more. He threw a dagger of darkness at her." He looked at Alex with a soft smile. "She nearly died if the Dark Elves hadn't healed her."

"You almost died?" Lucy asked the elf, her eyes becoming a little sad.

Alex nodded slowly.

"Goodness, Alex," Edmund said with a slight chuckle. "That's the second time, possibly more!" Caspian raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Alex has put her life on the line more than once for us when we were here."

"But," Alex said, "I fine now and there is peace across all of Narnia."

"Peace?"

"In just three years."

Lucy smirked slightly and looked at Caspian, tucking a bit of hair behind her ear.

"And have you found yourself a queen in those three years?" she asked.

"No," Caspian replied with a smile. "Not yet."

"Hang on," Edmund said, realizing something. "So if there are no wars to fight and no one is in trouble, then why are we here?"

"That's a good question. I've been asking myself the same thing."

"So where are we sailing to?"

"Before I took back the throne from my uncle, he tried to kill my father's closest friends and most loyal supporters." He turned around to look at the portraits that hung on the wall. "The Seven Lords of Telmar. They fled to the Lone Islands. No one has heard from them since."

"So you think something has happened to them?"

"Well, if it has, it's my duty to find out."

"Well, what's east of the Lone Islands?" Lucy asked.

"Uncharted waters," Drinian, the ship's captain, replied. "Things you can barely imagine. Tales of sea serpents and worse."

"Sea serpents?" Edmund questioned with a smile.

"All right, Captain," Caspian said. "That's enough of your tall tales."