Chapter 75 - Moping Up

Rather than acknowledging my word of thanks, my rescuer seemed to ignore me. Instead, he shifted his position slightly to stand between me and the remaining drow.

It took a few moments for them to realize that their leader had been erased from existence. When it finally occurred, they were distraught. Most of them prepared to make another charge at these filthy and disgusting humans when one of them raised a hand and said, "Scram."

The other dark elves reluctantly placed their scimitars back into the scabbards and retreated.

The new leader threw a smoke bomb to cover their escape; when the smoke dissipated, the drows were gone, leaving the dead bodies behind.

When the danger had finally ended, the newcomer turned around to face me and removed his cloak.

I almost gasped at the sight. It was a human girl in her late-teens. She was petite, like Kalistra, and her skin was jet-black. Her head was bald and many indecipherable runes and symbols were inscribed on her face and head. While the cloak enshrouded her, I had no doubt that these markings covered all over her body. I looked at the caption above her head and it read, "Name: Alsaj, Level: ?, Disposition: Cautious."

Someone gasped when the true nature of my rescuer was unveiled.

The two Watchmen stood alert with their swords in hand.

From my vantage point standing behind the stranger, I saw that the men were very frightened. Their grasps on the hilts of their swords tightened and their eyes were fully focused on her. Why were Giudot and Sankryn so hostile to my rescuer? What was I missing here?

Captain Maisen's sword, Jiang, hummed louder than before as the blade vibrated furiously. However, the fighter pointedly placed her magical sword back its scabbard. For whatever reason, this monk had chosen to intervene in the fight and she had saved Lawrence's life. Also, her back was turned toward the man, implicitly showing no intention to harm him. With her speed, the monk could have snatched Lawrence, and only Kalistra would have a chance of following her. Given these circumstances, it would be unlawful for the Watchmen, herself included, to attack the newcomer. Thus, Maisen sheathed her sword and then bowed from the neck toward the monk in appreciation of saving Lawrence.

Taking their cue from her, the two men did the same however reluctantly. But the fear and tension on their faces remained.

As if the trio were beneath her notice, Alsaj paid them no heed. Instead, she turned to face Kalistra. She put one fist against an open palm at mid-chest and nodded her head slightly to the cat girl. Of the four people in front of her, only the cat girl was worthy of Alsaj's respect as an equal.

Kalistra sheathed her sword and dipped her own head just a tad lower than the monk. After all, this person DID rescue her liege and therefore honor demanded proper respect for this person.

Whoosh! The wind blew again, and my rescuer disappeared.

"Oh, that was so scary!" Giudot huffed in a sigh of relief.

"Yeah! I would rather face another dozen drows than to fight with that monk! At least we'll have a chance with the elves," Sankryn agreed.

I was flabbergasted by their reactions. Who the heck was that girl? And why was everyone so afraid of her? I belatedly spoke up and asked a simple question. "Who was that?"

The two men looked at each other and then at their Captain.

Maisen nodded in acceptance of their silent request to explain. "That Alsaj was a monk from the Sisterhood of the Void," she said.

"Okay," I nodded. "I noticed that your magical sword was humming. Was she a Chaotic being?" I asked.

"Yes, she was," my teacher replied.