Chapter 59 - Deeper Entanglement

As soon as I discovered the secret identity of the elven ambassador, I received a pop-up notification which read, "Faction quest COMPLETED. +250 XP." My eyes nearly popped out at the message. As a regular PC gamer, I was accustomed to doing fetch questions or killing monsters for experience rewards. In this particular instance, however, I was getting the experience for apparently solving a mystery. I turned my head over to the two gods, but they kept their neutral faces on and feigned disinterest in my conversation with the old cleric. Since it was just a few minutes past five, there was still daylight and I should try to talk to Roen today if the sign maker was inside his house. "I think I'll go have a friendly chat with Roen," I said.

"You could talk to whoever you wish, milord," Bishop Canterbury agreed amicably. "However, I ask that you avoid telling him about the Church's surveillance program. It would make the elves more distrustful of humans than they already are. Also, it would be even better if you don't disclose your source of information altogether," he requested.

My left eye twitched at the bishop's request. I suspected that this was another mini faction quest. "I will try my best to safeguard the Church's secrets," I agreed and deeply bowed to the Holy One.

The old cleric smiled again and then his face turned serious. "There is one additional matter to address before I grant you permission to leave, Initiate," Canterbury started speaking in a more formal tone of voice. "You have been blessed with one boon from Lady Musa and the second boon from Lord Bane. It would be shameful if we allow you to leave now with nothing from the Church itself. So the question is what can I grant you that is comparable in value to what you received from the gods?" he asked rhetorically and paused.

I simply shrugged at his question. Oh, I could ask for a LOT of things that could help me on my new mission—money, magical equipment, a horse, or bodyguards just to name a few possibilities. However, I didn't want to come across as being a greedy player. For all I knew, this question could be a test of my personal character and suitability for kingship. Every interaction with a church official was essentially part of my job interview for the crown. Thus, I had to stay on my toes when dealing with the gods and the church, and the best way to do so in this situation was to act meek and humble. Therefore, I would be perfectly willing to leave the bishop's study after receiving nothing from the Church. After all, with kingship as the ultimate prize, anything else that the bishop could offer right now had very little value to me.

Seeing my refusal to name my boon, Bishop Canterbury nodded politely as if he understood the real reason for my hesitancy. "Since you desire nothing from the Church, it would simply be best for me to fulfill a promise that I had made to you a few days ago," he suggested.

My eyebrows furrowed at this statement. What did the bishop promise me? Frankly, I couldn't remember. The days and hours inside this gaming world stretched far too long for my taste. Oh, what I wouldn't give right now for a nice vacation to relax on the beach! There would be no worries for me but for how hot the sand felt under my toes.

"Please take out your truth stone," the cleric requested.

I obeyed my superior and pulled the stone out from under my tunic, robe, and armor.

"When I gave you this stone, I said that someday I will teach you how to use it," Canterbury reminded me. When he saw my eyes flicker in remembrance of his words, the bishop continued. "Since you received two blessings from the gods, it is proper for the Church to offer two boons as well. The first boon I shall grant you is the spell to detect lies. Each truth stone is attuned to one user and is bound to him for as long as the user is alive. Therefore, to unlock the full abilities of your truth stone, it must be bound to you," he revealed. Suddenly, the cleric turned toward the demon lord. "Lord Bane, please cut Lord Mulligan's palm," he requested.