three

MYSTIC FALLS - PRESENT DAY

"What are we looking for again?" Stefan sighed, desperately wanting his immortal doppelgänger out of Mystic Falls, and out of his life.

"It's a, uh, brown leather necklace," Silas motioned in the air with his large hands as if it might help with his description. "It's got this red diamond. I don't know, it's been 2000 years since I saw the damn thing."

Damon remained silent, digging through drawers and boxes in search of the talisman. The raven haired vampire turned to his brother's lookalike, an uncertain expression on his face.

"What's so important about this girl anyway?"

"She was my first love. My only true love," the immortal witch shrugged. "The stories aren't entirely true, you know, about Qetsiyah and Amara."

"Then what's the truth?" Damon raised an eyebrow, briefly looking up before going back to his search.

"When she found out about my arranged marriage, Athena began to fall in love with someone else – someone who truly deserved her. So I tricked Qetsiyah into making the immortality spell, hoping Athen would take it and run away with me," Silas shuffled through a box filled to the brim with various items that had been collected throughout the years. "She said she couldn't and so I put her into a deep sleep. Amara was there to comfort me, and out of a drunken impulse I forced the immortality spell down her throat. And then, well, you know the rest."

"So you weren't in love with Amara?" Stefan questioned.

"No," he shook his head. "Have you found it yet?"

"Nope." The younger Salvatore glanced over at his brother who had remained unusually quiet. "Damon?"

"This it?" He held the old worn out leather necklace in his hands, his blue eyes not leaving the oddly cut red diamond as he spoke.

A wide grin grew on Silas' lips, "yes."