ten

MYSTIC FALLS - PRESENT DAY

Athena glanced at Damon wearily as she stood in the doorway of the living room. He gave her an encouraging nod and a reassuring smile as she approached the two men who had been sitting in silence for a while now.

Silas stood up when he noticed her presence in the room, a sad smile on his lips.

"Hey," he spoke gently, not wanting to scare her. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine. Good," Athena nodded, slowly taking small steps towards him. "I, um, I'm sorry."

"You don't need to be sorry, it's not your fault."

"Silas, I – "

"If I had known you wouldn't remember me I never would have done this to you," he cut her off.

"Actually, I do," she took a deep breath. "I do remember you."

Silas was silent, trying to comprehend what she had just confessed, "Why did you lie?"

"I was angry that you had done this to me, but most of all, I was scared."

"You were scared of me?" His voice remained steady but his heart was breaking. "But why?"

"Because I have been dreaming for 2000 years, and you are in those dreams." Her dark eyes became glassy. "We were happy, just like we used to be. But then I start to fall for someone else and you lash out and hurt me. Now I realise that it wasn't a dream. I've been reliving those last few years over and over again. So yes, I am scared of you, but I am more scared of what is outside, because while I was asleep everything changed, I mean, just look at what we are all wearing."

"My feelings for you have not changed in the slightest," Silas reached out and held her small hands in his. "I still love you, Athena, I always have."

"I know," she gently caressed his cheek. "I was awful at showing it, but I did love you."

Athena could feel the hot, fat tears run down her cheeks when he looked at her. It had become clear how much he truly needed her.

"I understand if you never want to see me again, but I want you to know that everything I did, I did it all for us."

Silas stepped away, letting her hand fall to her side and more tears flow. He left the Salvatore boarding house quickly, not wanting to see the only woman he had ever loved cry because of him.