A Man's Best Friend?

Kaiba rushed over to the blonde who lay still one the trash covered ally ground. He knelt down next to him, and lay his head on Joey's chest. His heartbeat was slow, but still there. Joey's breath was shallow, and Kaiba needed to get him to the hospital, quick. Kaiba lifted Joey off the ground with ease, like he had just a week before, the last time he saw the dog. Kaiba didn't have any time, he held Joey close, bridal style, and ran out of the ally as quickly as he could. Thankfully, the hospital was close by, since he'd already been headed there in hopes of finding Joey, never had it occurred to him he'd find Joey in this state. He looked down at the blonde, and felt a pang of... something... in in his chest. Whatever it was, it hurt. He looked back up and continued running. He hadn't the time to contemplate anything he was feeling now! There were more pressing matters at stake! He ran a little faster in hopes that he wouldn't be too late.

Joey opened his eyes, and looked around the blank white hospital room. Confusion lit his eyes, but then it all came flooding back to him. His old gang had found him, and caught him off guard. The thing in the gangs are: Once you join, you can't leave. But that's exactly what Joey did, he wanted to start fresh, but they found him at the worst time. He stared at the ceiling, and wondered, how exactly did he get there? He took at few guesses, but they'd never know he was there. Joey heard the door open, and he closed his eyes again, pretending to sleep, he had a few bad guesses too on who brought him there, and he didn't want to be 'awake' if it really was them. Joey heard someone sit in the chair next to the bed. They sighed.

"Mutt, you always seem to get in trouble." Came Kaiba's voice from the mysterious person. Joey silently thanked Kaiba for not being anyone who had something against Joey.

Kaiba rubbed his temples, and glanced at the bandaged blonde. He didn't know exactly what he felt towards him, but it wasn't what he felt just a few months ago. With Joey fast asleep and saved from near death, Kaiba was grateful. He felt like it was time to go home, maybe work in his room a while longer, so he stood. His actions got the better of him, and he did something before he realized he did it. He bent over the sleeping blonde, and laid his lips gently on his forehead. He quickly gathered his senses, and left without a word.

Joey's eyes shot open as he heard the door shut, his face turned scarlet. 'What. Was. That.' he thought. He sat up. The great and mighty Seto Kaiba just kissed his forehead. A thousand and one thoughts flew through his mind, but he shook them all away. Or rather, he tried to, but the more he tried, the redder his face got.

At one point during his thinking, a nurse walked in to check on the blonde. She looked surprised when she walked in to see Joey practically rolling around on his bed.

"Oh! Joey, you're awake! How do you feel?" the woman, who was an older lady, asked. Joey stopped rolling around and looked at her.

"I'm feeling pretty good, but when do I get outta here?" He said, sitting on the edge of the bed. She smiled.

"I'll be right back, I'll get the doctor to come check you out, and if he ok's it, then your free to go." The nurse said, walking out of the room.

Kaiba sat in his room at his desk, hoping to work from there, but it was no use.

"Ugh..." He groaned, massaging his temples. He hadn't been able to work since he found the mutt in the alleyway. He hadn't any idea what had happened, and he wouldn't until the mutt was out of the hospital and back in the Kaiba mansion. He leaned back in his chair. Finding his lost dog in that state worried him, and he went to visit him occasion seeing how the hospital was moments from his mansion.

His mind wandered onto what happened when he left last. He felt so overwhelmed with worry for so long, and the stress just overtook. He's not the type to analyze his emotions too deeply, but maybe he should start. Everything's getting to him... He'd just tell himself nothing had happened, and Joey was asleep anyhow, he wouldn't know. Kaiba sighed and glanced over at his cellphone on his desk. The doctor said Joey would be out soon, Kaiba could take Joey back home where he belonged. For Mokuba of course, the kid just missed Joey so much, and everyone knows Kaiba would do anything for his kid brother, even go out of his way to bring into his home the one he hated most, right? Right?