Chapter Twenty-One: All Shook Up

Start from the beginning

The large grandfather clock in the hall was striking six o'clock. Its echoing chimes filled the empty space.The nuns were busy supervising chores in the dining hall. Izzy and Gloria, who was growing paler by the minute, managed to make it all the way to the infirmary without confronting any of them. By the time Mara opened the door, Gloria was struggling to walk.

"Her water's broken," Izzy said, her voice barely more than a breath.

"It hurts," Gloria whimpered, gripping her stomach, her pride crumbling. "It hurts so bad!"

Mara beckoned the girls in, her eyes trailing over Gloria. She grabbed a folded gown from a shelf and handed it to her. "Change into this if you can manage," she said. "I'll phone the doctor. Then we'll check to see what's happening."

Izzy pressed herself into the corner of the room, her mouth bone dry as she waited for Gloria to change behind the curtain. Clasping and unclasping her hands, she listened as Mara talked to the doctor on the other side of the wall. The wail of a newborn came from the nursery, only a few feet down the hall.

Within moments, Mara appeared again and slipped behind the curtain. Izzy watched their shadows move together as the nurse helped Gloria lay on the bed. She came out, closing the curtain behind her. Her eyes settled on Izzy, then on the door. She sighed, looking at her hands. "You'd better be getting back to your room now."

Izzy wavered, eying the curtain. Mara's hand settled on her on the shoulder, her eyes holding a reassuring look. "Everything will be alright," she said. "Don't you worry about Gloria. Everything is going just as it should."

Izzy forced herself to swallow, the lump in her throat refusing to move. "Will you let me know when it's over?" Her voice cracked. "Let me know she's okay?"

"I will," Mara promised.

Her legs suddenly feeling light underneath her, Izzy turned towards the door. Dread gripped her entire body despite Mara's reassuring words.

She slammed straight into Sister Mary Thomas. Solid as a brick wall, the nun scowled on the other side of the doorway.

"Mara." The nun's eyes shot past Izzy to the nurse, her thick brows lowering. "What is going on here?"

"Gloria's water has broken," Mara explained. "I've called the doctor, he should be here in a few minutes. Izzy brought her down here as soon as it happened."

The nun's eyes narrowed on Izzy. "And what is this girl still doing here? She's not allowed in this room unless she's in labor."

Mara raised an eyebrow as she slipped on a pair of gloves. "She was just leaving."

The nun cast Izzy a sharp look that demanded she to leave immediately. Izzy squeezed past her, retreating to the hallway. As soon as she was out, Sister Mary Thomas forced the door shut behind her.

"You know." Mara's voice was muffled through the door, but the hint of irritation it held halted Izzy mid step as she turned to leave. "It wouldn't hurt to let these girls have some support during their labor. It's an incredibly scary experience for them."

"As it should be," Sister Mary Thomas's low voice spat. "Sins have consequences. Our Lord has set rules for us to follow for our own good. A sinner should not expect to lead an easy life."

"All of us are sinners in one way or another," Mara said in a low voice. "Many of these girls have made bad choices, I understand that. But, they're paying for them every single day. My goodness! They've been separated from their families and the only life they've ever known! They go through childbirth scared and alone, all the while knowing that at the end, they'll have to give up the baby."