~Narrated Choice~

Based on The Stanley Parable (Disclaimer: I don't own the Stanley Parable Game.) What happens when suddenly your life is narrated but you decide to choose something different?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

One completely ordinary day, one girl was asleep at her desk during maths. It was a wonder that April Chalice knew any maths at all, given the amount of time she spends sleeping in class instead of learning. When she awoke, she was alone. Something that seemed quite out of the ordinary as she expected the teacher to have still been there.

She yawned and stretched, brushing her amber waves behind her ears. A quick glance at the clock told her that if she didn't leave now, she would be late to her next class. Rushing as if she was actually excited to attend class, she packed her things and ran out the door.

I checked my watch, continuously the minute I left my maths classroom. The corridors were abandoned and normally they weren't. Had everyone left? Am I dreaming? I dawdled down the corridor, suddenly fear creeping in and latching onto my heart. Was I going to get caught for being in school when no one else was? Was that clock wrong? Am I extremely late for my next class? Oh, I can't be late for art!

All thoughts fled her head as she came to the fork in the corridor. She could follow the hallway left or right. Wanting to hurry to art, which was on the opposite side of the school, she went left.

Trying to think about which way was faster, I went right and ran for ar-

***

I dawdled down the corridor, suddenly fear creeping in and latching onto my heart. Was I going to get caught for being in school when no one else was? Was that clock wrong? Am I extremely late for my next class? Oh, I can't be late for art!

All thoughts fled her head as she came to the fork in the corridor. She could follow the hallway left or right. Fear of not getting to art on time made her decide to go left.

Woah! Talk about déjà vu, I thought as I reached the fork in the corridor. I'm pretty sure it's quicker to go right. I turned right and started to ru-

***

I dawdled down the corridor, suddenly fear creeping in and latching onto my heart. Was I going to get caught for being in school when no one else was? Was that clock wrong? Am I extremely late for my next class? Oh, I can't be late for art!

All thoughts left her head as she came to the fork in the corridor, more on the left side. April couldn't decide which way, but she was leaning more to the left as she was left handed. She went left.

Have I done this before? Like I don't mean head to art from maths, I always do. But I feel like I've experienced this exact scenario before, that's weird. Anyway, art! I quickly, without thinking about it went rig-

***

Why aren't you listening to me, April! I'm saying go LEFT!

Uh, hello? Who's there and why are you saying go left? I know for a fact that art is closer if I head right.

I am the narrator of your story. I can make your art class wherever I want it to be, and I'm going to make you keep repeating the same choice until you make the right one.

Narrator? Of my story? Are you saying that I'm just a character? That's insane, why would anyone want to read about an average school girl who can't even stay awake in maths? Anyway, my choice is right no matter what, because it's MY choice. You have no say, narrator.

I do so and I can make you do whatever I want.

***

A resounding smack was heard as Mr Shedfred, a high school math teacher, slapped his hand down on the sleeping student's desk. April Chalice's emerald green eyes flew open at the sound. She looked cranky as if she was about to tell whoever off for interrupting her nap. Her face dropped as she realised it was her math teacher.

'Mr Shedfred, I am so sorry. I just didn't get enough sleep last night. I prom- Wait a minute.'
Narrator? I have never been caught sleeping in maths before. Is this because I wouldn't go left?

Ho-how did you remember that? You're not supposed to, I've changed the story!

Well it wasn't a very convincing change. You did say you could make me do anything and this is how you choose to spend that?

Fine! I'll show you a change!

***

April Chalice woke up one morning, although time didn't matter when you were the last person on the entire planet. She had adjusted to the loneliness, and when I say adjusted I mean she created friends to talk to. She was insane, but there was no one, not one living thing besides plants left on Earth. April has no clue what happened, just that one night she ate dinner with her parents and when she woke up, there was no creatures left.

Really? I'm insane and the last person on Earth? Wow, unique, Narrator. Honestly, never would have thought about that. I'll never cross you ever again.

Stop being sarcastic and I thought that it was a good idea. See how you like this.

***

One completely ordinary day, one girl was asleep at her desk during maths. It was a wonder that April Chalice knew any maths at all, given the amount of time she spends sleeping in class instead of learning. When she awoke, she was alone. Something that seemed quite out of the ordinary as she expected the teacher to have still been there.

She thought about her fading dream, something about a narrator. It didn't matter. She had to get to art. She rushed out of the empty room and ran down the corridor and turned left, the quickest route to art.

When I reached the fork, I turned right, knowing for certain it was the quickest path to art, no matter what the Narrator says,