Chapter 31

I wake up to the sound of a phone ringing.

I slowly sit up and groan, stretching my arms and wiping my makeup-smeared eyes.

I look around and see that I'm not in my bedroom, with my fiancé, sleeping.

I'm in the guest bedroom.

Alex's guest bedroom.

And I'm not just in the bedroom..I'm on the bed.

Naked.

With an also naked Alex beside me.

"Ohh, fuck," I say aloud to myself.

Then I remember the phone. I get outta bed and grab a random robe on the door hook and slide it on, running to the phone just as it stops ringing. I pick it up and see that the call was from Ethan.

Why is he calling at 12:25 in the morning?

Why isn't he home at 12:25 in the morning?

Just then, the doorbell rings. "Cooper, it's me!" I hear Ethan's voice says.

"Ethan?" I call.

"Yeah, babe, open up!"

I walk to the door and open the door to my fiancé.

My fiancé, who I cheated on.

With a girl.

In our house.

"Heyy, beautiful," he smiles, kissing my cheek.

"Heyy.." I sigh slowly, closing the door. "Why ya home so late?"

"The game went into a lot of overtime, then we just hung out awhile. I forgot my key so I just called."

"..ohh. I..I hope you had fun."

"I did, thanks. Did I wake you guys?" he asks, pulling off his jacket.

"..kinda, but it's alright..I'm pretty sure Alex is..still asleep anywa-"

I hear rustling and foot steps coming from the back room. I turn and see Alex walk into the living room, luckily fully clothed.

Well, almost.

She stands in a maroon sports bra and black sweatpants shorts, her hair in a messy high ponytail.

"Cooper, I-..hello," she says to Ethan.

"Heyy, Alex!" he smiles.

"Hi."

"Sorry, if I woke you guys, it wasn't planned."

"Don't worry, we were full of energy earlier, we didn't need much sleep," she says, glancing at me.

I look at the ground and run my fingers through my hair. "Umm, Ethan, you must be really tired. You should go on to bed, I'll be in soon."

"Alright. Night, Alex."

"Nighhtt."

He walks to the bedroom and closes the door behind him. I hear the shower water come on. I look at Alex who smirks at me.

"C'mere," I say, pulling her to her room.

"Yes, dear?" she asks.

"..Alex..don't."

"Don't what?"

I sigh. "Look..my wedding is in two days. And it's not with you. I'm sorry, but what happened tonight can never happen again."

She shrugs. "Ok."

"I'm sorr-..wait..ok?"

"Yeah. Ok."