CHAPTER ONE

"I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exist even if its in our minds. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as here and now"....
    ~John Lennon

Brush, comb, shampoo, bag pack...
Check! Everything is ready i said while cross checking for the fifth time.

I don't want to forget anything, I even took extra food and drinks in case i get hungry on the way, even though i doubt if i can eat during this journey, i will be too engross with the trip i thought.

"Elizabeth! Elizabeth! Lizzy!"
My mum screamed from the kitchen downstairs.

"Am almost through mum, just a little finishing touches then i will be down" I replied

"Hurry up lets have breakfast before it gets cold" she screamed

"Okay mum! I Will be down in five minutes."

I hurried to get my bag pack, then closed the box and dragged it all the way downstairs.

"Good morning mum!" I said with a smile knowing this is the love of my life, she has been and will always be my Everything.

My dad died before i could open my eyes to see the world, so i didn't have any memories of him, but mum kept telling me of how sweet and caring a husband he had been.

I think that's the major reason why mum has been a single mum and rejected any suitor who tries to win her heart.

I sat down on the seat opposite hers, on the little dinning by the kitchen

"Let's pray" Mum said. We closed our eyes to  pray.  Mum leading the prayers saying,

" some have food but cannot eat. Some can eat but have no food. We have food and we can eat.Father Lord thank you for blessing us with what to eat, for the food we are about to eat we thank you oh Lord."

"Amen" I said.

I then dug into my plate of cheesy chicken rice and a mug of S'mores brownies

"This is the more reason i love you mum" I mumble between mouth fulls.
It taste fantastic i said making a perfect sign with my fingers.

She smiled then continued with her breakfast in silence. She didn't display her usual dinning humor.
That was when it occurred to me she hasn't been her self lately, she even wore a long face. I suddenly felt a stingy pain in my heart. I don't like to see her sad, i thought quitely.

"Mum what's with the long face?" i asked out of concern
"You seem to be out of this world, i hope you are feeling well?

"Am well lizzy. Am just a little worried about your journey, I have been having strange feelings too.

Am not too familiar with the place and besides i don't know whether the place is safe for you too." She said again after a brief silence.

"Oh mum! You worry unecessarily am not going alone, i will be traveling with Jacob and you know, he comes from Africa and he looks like them so we won't have much difficulty." I assured her.

"And aslo i learnt alittle bit of their dialect" i said grinninly trying to cheer her up. She sighed. "Okay Lizzy i cant stop you from going but promise me to take good care of yourself. Eat on time and stay away from trouble". "Okay mum i promise"

I left my chair  and gave her an assuring hug.

"I will be back before you know, I love you mum."
I said trying to hold back the tears that was finding it's way down my cheeks.

"I love you more, honey. Look after yourself I can't afford to loose you"

"Don't say that mum, you won't ever loose me. Will call you at every point of my journey, I promise."

"Okay! Okay! Hurry and finish up before Jacob arrives".

"Yes mam"!

Then i heard a car engine stop by our lawn.

"I guess he is here, Lemme finish up"
I rushed my breakfast. Then mum went to usher him in.

"Hello Jacob she said with a bright smile.

"Good morning Mrs Adams" he replied.

Mum has refused to change her name even after Dad's death. She said she prefers been address as Mrs Adams regardless of her status. "She is having her breakfast will be done in a while please have a seat". " Okay mam." I came down and found Jacob sitting on the couch, he saw me and smiled looking smart and handsome as usual in a grey shirt and black jeans. "My prince charming" i said in my mind. Jacob and i are family friends, we grew together in the same neighbourhood. Jacob has been a very good friend of my Family for years, his mum and my mum were friends since high school, but she died last two years ago.
His Father died a year after his mum's death, which left him an orphan.

Jacob has been the Father and also a brother to his only sister Anabel.
Jacob is a nice guy, i have had a crush on him since i was a teen but never had the courage to tell him. He is this kind of guy that is always putting other's interest before his, a typical example of a perfect gentleman. He has been there for me just like the brother i never had. He considers himself my best friend and i am scared i might ruin what we have if i tell him how i really feel about him. "Hey Liz ready for the big journey?" "Couldn't be more ready." i said smiling back at him.

10 minutes later, we were all outside uploading the stuffs into mum's car.

"I forgot my ticket, I announced.
"lemme hurry and get it" i said in a rush.

Some minutes later, i was back and all ready for the big journey ahead. I can't wait I said cheerfully to myself.

we drove to the airport in silence, everyone lost in his or her own personal thoughts and adventure.

I have already started having Nostalgic feeling I thought mentally, as we passed through familiar Streets.

We arrived at the airport on time to catch the next flight to Africa. I was so excited, at the same time sad. I have never traveled anywhere far away from my mum.

I made a silent prayer, hoping she remains safe, while am away.
"Will miss you mum" i said when we where about to go on board.

"I will miss you more dear" she said. we hugged each other for what seem like eternity. Before i gave room for Jacob to hug her goodbye.

"Take care of yourself Jake." She whispered into his ears.

"I will Mam, take care of yourself too." He said waving at her.

************************************************************************************************************

So you guys should tell me what you think about our first chapter 😁😑😶

You know we just began, more is yet to come your way, so sit back while i take you through the rollercoaster ride 😉...and don't forget it's a short story so don't fall tooo in love..lol

Do press the Star button 👇..it will give me more energy and hope😂...

READ, COMMENT;-) , VOTE and SHARE it to others...
😘😘😘😘😘😘