Chapter 3: I Like To Explore, Kat.

Start from the beginning

Kyle smiles lazily at Jason. "My flask is almost empty."

"If the cops catch you with that, you're going to get us all in trouble."

"Whatever," Kyle grumbles. "Jess has been asking about you all night. Maybe you should go find her." He walks off, or more like stumbles off, leaving me alone with Jason again. I probably should've bolted during that.

Jason opens his mouth, most likely to apologize, but then Lukas appears with a grin on his face. "Duchess," he greets.

"Lukas."

Jason looks between us. "How'd you two meet?"

"Work," Lukas answers without taking his eyes off of me. "And she's the one that punched Kyle in the face for grabbing her ass."

Jason's eyes widen. "That was you?"

"Guilty," I murmur.

"That's why he thought he knew you," Jason says. "I hate to say he deserved it."

"Do you really hate to say it?" Lukas asks him.

That causes Jason to grin. "Nope."

Kyle must have tried that whole ass grabbing thing on other people before me. I wouldn't put it past him. "Um, it was nice meeting you, Jason, and it was...nice seeing you again, Lukas."

I spin around and continue walking. It's a breath a fresh air when I can inhale and exhale again. Weaving through the crowd, I find an empty spot by the fire and plop down a few feet away with a sigh. I think about going to find Nina, but then squash that idea because she'll probably hate being stuck with me all night.

There's a warm presence to my right and I know it's Lukas before I even look. He has a red cup in his hand, tilting it back against his lips to get a drink. "So what brings you on my side of the island?"

"Your side?"

He sets the cup down and raises his legs to wrap his arms loosely around them. "Yeah, my side. But royalty is always welcome."

I can't help but roll my eyes. "I don't see any royalty around here."

Lukas chuckles lightly. "No, I guess not." He raises his cups to his lips again, draining the contents before sitting it down. "So how long are you here for?"

"How do you know I'm not from here?" Was he listening to my conversation with Jason?

"Your car has a Massachusetts license plate," he notes.

A laugh slips out before I can stop it. More of a relieved laugh. "I'm here until the end of summer, but there are better places to be."

Lukas snorts. "There could be worse."

"Like where?"

He turns his head to face me, a smirk tugging on his lips. "Massachusetts."

I smile instead of telling him he's wrong, because he's not. "I guess I'd rather be here than Mass. It's prettier and I'm by the beach. Looking on the bright side."

Lukas is still watching me. I can see him from the corner of my eye. "What about the people?"

"They're okay," I answer and finally find his gaze. "Well, some are okay."