Impossible

Impossible [drabble] 

[a little apology-present for my absences :D] 

It’s impossible.

Stars trace the sky like white bulbs so far away it’s just impossible. The silence is impossible too. Up here in the cliff over-looking the mantle of city lights that blink and shimmer in a blurry daze, it is. Maybe it’s just because they’ve been waiting for this for days now, weeks even, and it just seems impossible now that they’re finally here. 

Liam runs his palm across Niall’s thigh. Slowly. He growls lightly. “Liam.”

Said boy laughs lowly. Kisses his cheek and murmurs, “Sorry.” And he lies down with him again on the back of his worn blue pick-up truck, staring up at the sky with their legs tangled and their arms tucked under their heads.

Niall smirks. “Just kidding.”

He moves on top of the boy and kissses him full on the lips. And it’s the way their bodies press together, their legs slotting in between each other like the way their fingers interlock in the secrecy of their rooms, that makes Niall sigh. Drags skitters down  his spine. Liam clutches on to Niall’s hip so he doesn’t fall over and kisses back, lifting his head slightly from the cold metal beneath him so he can deepen the kiss.

Niall tries to freeze this moment, carve into his mind every part of them that’s pressed together, every heart beat that thuds across their chests in rugged beats, every centimeter where their lips touch. All of it.

Liam’s hand travels underneath his shirt and across the heated skin of his back, anchoring his t-shirt up, and stops right at the bottom of his spine where he can feel the slight bend of his torso.

When Niall wakes up alone in the bed he knows it’s just impossible.