Chapter 4 - Rentals

Comenzar desde el principio

"One day I will," she said, and for the first time, I realized how tired she looked. "I'm trying to keep the first week of January free,"

"Hope it works for you," I said and mean it, but only a week of rest? 

After helping her bring a weathered wooden fence out and metal cans with taps outside. I went back to my task of learning how to make animal balloons. I can make a decent swan and a butterfly, but the damn dog is harder than I thought. Next Saturday will be my first sanity test. I will help Tania to entertain the kids at the birthday.

When it was time for me to go home, she promised to give me a run through of the party before we head to it, then pressed a bag of balloons in my hands to continue practicing at home. At the moment that is the last thing I want to do. My fingers are sore and my hands sting on the places where the balloons burst.

I wave at the security guard and don't bother to check the mail. As I reach my apartment, I hear noises inside. I open the door to find Tony busy in the kitchen.

"Twice in a week? To what do I owe the honor of your presence?" I tease him.

"Don't be a dick! I got worried. I messaged you to ask how it went with the interview and got no answer. I called you too. Several times! Why the hell have you been M.I.A.? I was going to call the police. I'm even making carbonara and using pancetta! Do you know how many calories are in that?"

Seeing Tony worked up about me not answering my phone is sweet. I know I'm not great at expressing my feelings, but this guy means so much to me.

"Your father even called me cause he couldn't get hold of you!" he chops the pancetta with a bit of fury.

"Oh crap! We were supposed to meet for coffee. I didn't count on staying long at Tania,"

"Who's Tania? Did you ignore my messages cause you were with a woman?" he places his hands on his hips and I have trouble hiding a smile.

"Tania is my new boss. I got the job and could start right away,"

"Really? Don't bullshit me Devin,"

I grimace while showing him the pack of balloons. He looks at it with curious eyes while I give him a summary of my first work day.

"And people pay so much to have a birthday?" Tony asks as he stirs a pot of sauce.

"So it seems. Now I need to survive in this job long enough so I can prove I'm a responsible father. I hope the fact that it deals with kids will earn me extra points. I need to see Roxy soon. It's killing me,"

"I hope you see your girl soon, Dev. You also need to talk to your father," 

"Call him Stephen, please," I say and he nods.

I head to my bedroom and open the door to the balcony. I get my phone out of my pocket and smile at the bunch of missed calls and hysterical messages from Tony. I find the missed call from my Stephen and call him back.

"Devin? Are you okay?"

"Yes, I am. Sorry I missed our appointment. I went for a job interview and could start right away,"

"Did you leave the coffee place?"

"I got fired. A customer recognized me and the manager freaked out,"

"I understand. Devin, you know you can always come and work with me,"

"I appreciate the offer, but you know I can't accept,"

I also don't want another half-sibling at my door questioning my motives.

"If it's money you need, you can count on me too,"

"I'm fine Stephen. I don't need any money. Can we meet on Monday?"

"Oh, okay. Sure. Same place?"

"Same place, same time,"

The silence that follows is a bit awkward. I say bye quickly and hang up. I know he would like for me to call him Dad, but I can't do it. I've known him for almost two years, but I don't feel it in my heart. I want us to have a friendly relationship first and we'll see what happens.

I head back to the kitchen and find Tony serving two big plates. My mouth waters at the sight and the scents.

"Did you call Stephen or were you smoking?" Tony asks.

"I called him and you know I don't smoke anymore. He offered me a job or money,"

"Which you declined, right?"

"You know I don't even need this job. I'm doing everything for my girl. Two of my tenants extended their contracts, so I also don't need money,"

While my co-stars snorted, smoked and drank their earnings, I used mine to buy a few affordable houses I rent out. Unfortunately, this didn't convince the judge and he forced me to look for a job to prove I'm reliable.

"Stephen owes it to you," Tony says.

"He can't clean his conscience with material stuff. Let's not talk about this anymore. I can use some food and rest. God knows what awaits for me on Saturday,"

Tony gives me one of his looks. He knows when to stop putting pressure on me to talk, but can't help his facial expressions. I lived 28 years without Stephen and I don't need him now.