Chapter 8

Sorry for the very late upload. We've been really busy and haven't been able to write as much. Hope you enjoy this chapter!
----------------------------------------------
(Edited) The next day went by in a blur. Everything happened ordinarily, as if it was routine. The twins broke hearts in their respective ways- Parker flirting shamelessly with practically any girl you looked his way and Austin, who took the more innocent route by pretending he doesn't know that he's showing off his muscles and, being mysterious and artsy. Austin, although very awkward, was identical to his twin with how much of a player he is. Sam on the other hand, caused a ruckus at lunch because somebody tried to trip her. She ended up having to be held back from attacking the culprit. Cameron listened to music all day, blocking out the world as only he can do. And I daydreamed and doodled in my notebook, waiting anxiously for the end-of-day bell.

--------------------------------------------------------

After dropping off Cameron at his house, I drive home. I run upstairs and put down my stuff. I put down most of my school things and stuff anything I might need while with Jace into a smaller bag. I grab the bag and leave my room, seeing that I'm going to be late.

I leave my room and carelessly run towards the stairs. Without thought of my mother's old throw rug we keep just above the stairs, I dart to the stairs and promptly slip on the rug. My feet fly out from under me and my ribs meet the stairs painfully and I gracefully tumble down the staircase, most likely looking more or less like a baby giraffe trying to walk for the first time. With many loud thuds and a plethora of swearing under my breath, I slide down the stairs, more hurt by my old wounds than my new ones.

I lift up my shirt when I reach the bottom of the staircase to examine my situation. No new bruises or cuts yet, although the older ones were still prominent. I glance at my watch again and curse, knowing that I'll be late no matter what I do. I shakily stand up, being careful to not make any more noise than I already have, brush off the dust, and collect my things. I walk out the door finally and get into my car. It's not as if he's going to be on time either. He doesn't really seem like the kind of person who'd be very punctual. I think to myself as I straighten out my shoulderless white blouse and cute black shorts. David leaves bruises were nobody can see them, meaning nothing beyond short sleeves and shorts halfway up my thigh. I drive away from my house, doing my best to be at least close to on time.

--------------------------------------------------------

I don't see Jace's car when I park near the abandoned farm. After marching through the overgrown grass, I reach the tree line. I tread down the familiar worn down dirt path, twisting and turning through the comforting woods. The sound of the rushing water meets my ears and I begin to fix my mess of hair, then stop. Why should I need to fix my hair? I don't mind it this way and I certainly don't care what Jace thinks about me. It doesn't even look that bad anyway. I think to myself before simply smoothing down my hair. As I walk up to where Jace stands, he looks up. My mind still elsewhere, I look Jace up and down without thinking.

Unfortunately for me, Jace catches my wandering eyes and smirks in a way that clearly says "I see you looking at me. I'm glad that you agree that I am a sexy beast." Of course, he doesn't say all that. He just winks at me and says, "come here often, Calloway?" in a suggestive tone.

"Shut up, Reed," I say, irritated already.

"Reed? I know that's my last name, but I don't think last names can really be our thing. How about Sexy or something like that?" He brainstorms to me. I roll my eyes and mimic a girl who was hanging on his arm yesterday.