Chapter 25 - Good Times

Ronnie

I'm happy that the party went off without a hitch. I was able to have a good time without all of the drama. Even Olivia behaved, if you don't count the awful, un-kid friendly swimsuit. I can't remember having a good time at any event or party when my family was there.

The cleaning crew arrived at eight am on the dot and it only took them an hour to make our beach area look like it did before the party and they were worth every penny. Everyone at the party was also pretty good about keeping everything decent.

I've been spending the next few weeks working ahead, so that I'll be able to go out of town with the guys without having to worry about work. Amy is excited to go to Nebraska, because she's never been there before. She had me pull up their zoo online, so she could do research on it. She's mapping out the route that we're going to take when we go there. Meg keeps telling her about their family and the things that they'll do when they go down there.

I was going to have Lydia come with us, but since she's almost nine months along, the doctor says that she can't travel. She's a little disappointed, but she'll have the time to study and then take her GED right about the time that we get back.

"Ronnie? Do you have a minute?" Lydia peeks around the corner of my office.

"Come on in," I wave her into the room.

She takes a seat on the couch to the left of my desk, "I'm going to have to stop working for you earlier than we agreed upon."

"Why not? What's going on?" I sit up in my chair.

"My parents are working a lot more lately and they are having to come back home and pick me up to bring me here in the morning. You are already working when I get here, so I can't ask you to pick me up and your men are already gone too. I can take the bus, but it doesn't run out this way, which makes no sense, because the public beach is about a mile away. So it's just best for me to stop working for you now," her head is down and she's playing with her fingers. "I don't mean to disappoint you."

"You aren't disappointing me. I know that you would work until our agreed time was up if you could. I'll make other arrangements for the rest of the time, no problem. I'm glad that you came to me instead of just not showing up. I'm going to miss you, but I'll be checking up on you to make sure that you're okay." She nods with tears in her eyes. "Go on and have fun with the girls and when you go tonight, we'll let them know then that you won't be back for now."

She nods again, "Thank you."

"No. Thank you. I've loved having you here this summer. All of us have," I walk over and sit by her, giving her a hug.

When we pull back, she smiles, "I keep wanting to thank you for letting me invite a few of my friends to the beach party on the fourth. It was amazing and they now think that even though I'm pregnant, I'm the coolest person they ever met. They even gave me a baby shower a couple of weeks ago."

"Really? That's amazing! Tell me all about it." I prompt. I listen as she tells me about her shower and the things that she received. I make a mental note to ask her mother what she still needs for the baby, so I can help out some more. She finishes telling me and goes to find the girls, so they can get ready for the day.

I call Frankie. "Hey sis! What's up?"

"I just spoke with Lydia and she can't babysit the girls anymore. I was wondering if you had time or if you know someone who can babysit."