Chap. 10

“Do you even hear yourself?” I asked Marci, as we loaded up her trunk. “I mean really, do you ever actually listen to the words that come out of your mouth?”

“I’m serious,” Marci defended, handing me a towel to wipe down with. “Just think about it for a minute.”

“I think you’re insane,” I clarified, tossing my sweaty towel into her trunk and going around to the passenger side.

“You wouldn’t be the first.”

“And I certainly won’t be the last.”

She laughed, backing out of the parking lot and pulling out. “It’s your night to make dinner.”

“I remember.”

“What are you making us?”

“This beautiful thing called Chinese takeout, you should try it sometime.”

She rolled her eyes. “Literally, I think Jenica is the only one that actually attempts to cook.”

“True,” I agreed

We ran through the takeout place before heading back to our apartment.

“There better be sweet and sour chicken in one of those containers,” Jenica informed me, when she saw the takeout boxes.

“There is,” I promised, opening one. “And one’s bourbon chicken.”

“Unfortunately it’s not made with actual bourbon,” Marci said, reaching up into the cabinet and pulling down a bottle of bourbon. “But I can fix that.”

I rolled my eyes, dumping some sweet and sour chicken and rice on my plate before settling in to catch some of E! News.

“Why do you watch that junk?” Marci called from the kitchen.

“Because it’s a free country!” I called back.

“What are your plans for tomorrow?” Jenica asked, crawling up next to me on the couch.

“It’s Saturday,” I informed her. “So I’m going to sit right here and do absolutely nothing all day long.”

“You’re so boring.”

“Oh yeah?” I challenged. “And what are your big plans?”

“I’m going out.”

“With who?” Marci asked, laughing as she took the lounge chair.

“You’re a bitch,” Jenica said, pointing her fork at Marci. “And I have friends.”

“Yeah, well count me out of your do-nothing session too,” Marci said, munching on her bourbon chicken. “I promised my mom I’d help her move some stuff to storage.”

“Gross,” Jenica complained. “There are two things that I hate, old people and storage rooms.”

“And I’m the bitch?” Marci demanded.

“Down kitties,” I ordered, sipping on my Arnold Palmer. “And that’s fine, I’ll just spend the day alone.”

“Like you’ll spend the rest of your life?” Marci asked, with a smirk.

Jenica reached over and high-fived her, laughing.

“You guys suck,” I clarified. “I’m glad you’re both leaving.”

 ~*~

“Turn it off!” I called out, as the incessant ringing went off for the second time that morning.

“That’s your own phone!” Marci called back.

I let out a groan, rolling over and pressing my phone to my ear. “What?”