Ch. 1 Crushed

Vico still remember the day when her love life was flipped on its head (not that she had much of a love life).

It was a humid Friday with ugly gray clouds passing overhead. Even though rain had been in the forecast, not a single drop of water fell. Vico was at college trying to write down notes as much and as quickly as possible. It was only the third week and already she was bombarded with quizzes and homework assignments. She was fresh out of high school and just realized how unprepared she was (hurray for public education).

"And that's the end for chapter five," announces the professor. "Next Monday we'll have a quiz that covers all five chapters, including the lectures, so I hope all of you have been taking notes. Use this weekend wisely. Class is dismissed."

Vico drops her pencil, fingers sore from writing so hard and so fast. She was already stressing over how busy her schedule has become - and she's only taking three courses!

She groaned. "I'm ready for a nap."

Vico gathered her belongings and exits the classroom, rolling her backpack behind her. To her joy, Luke was waiting outside, a smile on his face, wearing his signature galaxy T-shirt. On it was a pic of an astronaut and the words, "I need my space." In his hand was a bag of goodies, which he waves in the air.

Vico gasped. "You didn't."

He nods.

"You didn't!"

He waves the bag in her face.

"¡Dame, dame, dame!" (Give me, give me, give me!)

He hands her the bag and Vico eagerly rummage through it to find a can of Arizona green tea, gummy worms covered in chamoy (a saucy condiment made of dried chilies, lime juice, and fruit), nachos, and - her all-time favorite - Takis.

"You're welcome." Luke bowed graciously.

"Luke," Vico sighed dreamily. "You and I were meant to be. You're the wife I've been looking for."

"I . . . I don't know if I'm ready," he turns away, holding his hands against his chest. "What if you leave me?"

"Sweetie, I'll never leave you. You have a pizza my heart."

They gazed at each other for a second before erupting into laughter. From nearby a groan was heard.

Vico smelled him before she saw him.

Sitting on an armchair several feet away from the two was Seth, a new friend Luke made when he entered college. Vico couldn't get why since the loser gave her bad vibes. He was nothing like her homeboy, at least from her perspective, but Luke seemed to like him.

"Hey," he greeted.

"Hey." Vico avoided eye contact, red-faced. Ugh, can't believe he just saw that. Why the heck is he even here?!

"So, ready to go home?" Asks Luke.

"Yes, please," Vico heaved.

"I call shotgun," declares Seth, who somehow teleported to her side. Goosebumps traveled down her back.

Vico stepped away from him, trying to keep a neutral face. "You're coming with us?" she questioned. Why?!

"Yeah." He doesn't add an explanation.

"Sorry, Vicky," apologizes Luke. "First serve, first come. So you'll be sitting in the back."

"It's better that way." Seth pats her head - boy, did she wanted to claw his hand away. "Kids aren't allowed to sit in the front."

"Yeah, yeah.'' She pulled away from him. "Let's go. I'm ready for a nap."

As they made our way through the halls, Luke and Vico did all the talking, while Smart-mouth only listened. Though she swears she felt his eyes boring on the back of her head.