20: Sweet Sorrow

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I did. From the moment I reached the cliff top, even before our meeting, my heart has been filled with grief. From then until we met and from our parting to when I held you in my arms again. I have felt no grief since that moment." Emmett promised her he would always grieve while they were apart, no matter for what reason. His confession made her heart light and she couldn't help but ask, a little scared of the answer.

"Then perhaps as your brother is no longer here, you may kiss me without feeling the need to stop?" She wondered quietly. So many lingering, sweet kisses had been ruined by Briant returning from a hunt. Lilian just wanted to know that Emmett still desired her and didn't see her as only the mother of his child and someone he had once adored.

"Perhaps." He agreed in approval of her request. It was nice to be able to have a moment of privacy and intimacy without worrying that his brother was going to ruin it by appearing out of nowhere. When Emmett kissed Lilian lingeringly, there was no thought in the back of his head that they weren't going to be able to enjoy the moment. Instead they took the opportunity of reacquainting themselves with one another. For the rest of the night, they allowed their feelings to over come them until the night grew dark and Lilian was able to sleep in the safety of Emmett's arms.

-

It took Briant only a few days to reach the meadow where he had parted ways with Aveira. He had traveled flat out to reach her sooner rather than later. He was not in the least surprised to find that when he set foot on the meadow, emerging from the trees as a man, he found Aveira lying in the long grass, enjoying the sun. Not a moment after he took his first step towards her, she sat up, with her back to him and turned to look in his direction.

Briant presumed the call that had told him he would find her in the meadow as she had promised, had also told her he was there with her, finally returned from his trip. Aveira got to her feet the moment she saw him and ran straight into his arms, smiling to herself and closing her eyes in relief as he held her close. She hadn't been dreaming. He had really returned to her. Briant gave her the best greeting he could muster at such a time, having traveled non-stop since leaving Emmett and Lilian, despite his weariness and hunger. He kissed her. For a moment that was all they did until grudgingly, they parted.

"There is something I must speak to your father about. Emmett is not out of danger yet." Briant wanted Aveira to know that although he had returned, it wasn't going to be easy for them. Nor was Emmett safe. The instant he spoke, Aveira's smile faded as she took a step back from him, afraid that he would leave again soon.

"You are not staying?" Aveira was afraid to say anything, other than ask that one, potentially dangerous question. She was scared she would fall to her knees and beg him never to leave her again. She didn't want to be seen as weak, but she also didn't want him to leave and risk getting hurt. They had heard the call and she couldn't imagine the heartache she would feel if he suddenly left again and was killed, leaving her to suffer alone.

"I will stay with you forever. I have heard the call for you...I will never leave you unless I must. I cannot help Emmett by being with him, but there may be hope if your father can hear my words." Briant explained, calming her worries as he took her hand. He asked her to trust him in that he would not leave her, but his task of making sure Emmett was safe was not over. He had a lot to do if he expected Malik to hear him out and understand the situation Emmett and Lilian had got themselves into.

"Then speak with my father you must. He will be very happy to see you returned. I heard the call for you as well." Aveira decided, making her small confession with a smile as she led Briant by the hand, towards the clan territory. They had gone barely a few paces before Briant stopped her. He realized Malik wasn't the only one who would have to know the full truth of Emmett and Lilian's situation if he expected to get the result he wanted. If he and Aveira were to be united they would all be part of the one family. She would need to know the truth before she decided whether she still wished to be related to the first lycan to ever have fallen in love with a vampire.