Chapter 27 - The Wilderness

Chapter 27- The Wilderness Trip

That night we did not talk. Darren locked himself in his room completely isolating me. Grandma is too tired with work to even notice our awkwardness. And of course, Glacier, being the only person in this house to care about what's going on between Darren and I noticed.

That night we were all seated in our seats at the dinning room. A suffocating silence circulated the rather big room. Only the clicks and clanks of the utensils are heard. Across from me, Glacier sat sparing Darren and I some odd glances. Beside me, Darren sat smelling like his trade mark perfume. Something that I missed so much. Then, sitting on my chair with my head hung low while playing with my food, is me. Filled with shame and insecurities.

For the umpteenth time tonight, I was comparing myself with Ashley. All our similarities and differences. In the aspect of appearance, of course she won. Nobody even dared to check me out in school. Ashley, every single boy checks her out everyday. The new british maiden is suddenly popular because of her irresistable charm. I, on the other hand, sucks so badly.

"Okay," Glacier said. He turned his eyes towards Darren then me. "What's going on here?"

Nothing. Really. Just another misunderstanding and possibly a cause of our break - up. That's what's going on.

"Nothing." Darren said in a small whisper that can almost be inaudible.

Glacier's eyes shifted to me. "Lea?"

I raised my head and forced a smile that probably looks horrifying. "Nothing. Let's just, enjoy our meal. Please?" I pleaded giving yet another fake grin.

Darren slammed his fist on the table making everything in it bounce. I was startled and frozen in my spot. My heart beating rapidly. It was the first time I've experienced somebody slamming their fist or anything for the matter in the table. And that caused my sudden fright.

"Bullshit." He cussed. He stared intently at me. His eyes, the light blue one I know, turned darker. "Are you kidding? Can you please cut this crap!"

I flinched at the high volume of his voice. I'm scared. Really scared. I feel like I want to bury myself somewhere or lock myself in my room under my comfortable sheets. It's the first time I've seen Darren like this. And truth be told, I'm not very used to this.

"Darren, stop yelling at her! Can't you see that you're scaring her?" Glacier defended pointing at me.

Darren shifted his blazing eyes to my scared ones. Little by little, I saw them softened. His harsh breathing went back to its normal pace. And his clenched fists slowly unfolded themselves. From anger to ashame, he left the dinning room leaving me tensed in my seat.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Glacier softly asked.

This is the good thing about him. Unlike Darren who would force me to talk, Glacier is confirming first whether or not I want to bring up a topic. That way, I feel more relaxed and comfortable around him.

"No. I'm sorry but I just- I just- I... can't." I voiced out my voice breaking.

He walked next to me and placed his hand on my left shoulder. "It's fine. Just tell me when you're ready. Okay?"

"Okay."

That evening, I silently went back to my room with an empty stomach worrying and over thinking about things. Before I know it, I drifted into the world of unconsiousness with heavy thoughts flooding my mind.

~~~

"Did you pack everything? We're leaving now." Glacier asked me.

Today is our school camping trip. And of course, of all people, our teacher decided to pair me up with Darren for all the pair activities we will have at the camp. Unaware of the unstable relationship, Ms. Shaw assigned us to be bus buddies, Tent buddies, and activity buddies. This happened yesterday. The next morning after the night Darren snapped at me. Everything is too fast for me to take in. My body can't absorb everything.