What to do? (Arthit)

My work has consumed me once more. After spending a blissful weekened with Kongpope, work piled up each day since Monday. Contracts have been reviewed and projects have been evaluated with my team led by the project manager. It was only Thursday but I am looking forward to meeting Kong over the weekend. Right after lunch I was summoned by my project manager and one of the senior directors of the company.

"Arthit," my team leader, P'Lao, welcomed me at the office of Director Chien. Director Chien was already seated in the sofa when I came in. He beckoned me to sit down on one of the chairs. P'Lao beamed at me as if asking me to relax. I sat next to him and faced Director Chien.

"So, Arthit," director started to say. "I heard that you're about to reach your second year soon working for the company?"

"Kap," I nodded politely. I started with the company as part of its quality department before moving to its engineering systems department. We basically manage the systems used in our microchip manufacturing plants and develop them further to become more productive and efficient. P'Lao is a great senior. Not only I get to learn how management systems work, he also taught me how to manage people from our laborers to people in our executive team.

"I have reviewed your performance evaluation with Team Leader Lao and I'm very impressed by it," Director Chien continued. "In fact, Lao thinks you are more than ready to lead your own team with Lao co-leading of course. What do you think?"

I felt stunned for a bit. A promotion? I thought to myself. I looked at P'Lao who just beamed at me with pride. "I'll be honored, Director Chien," I bowed at him. Director Chien just nodded.

"I understand you speak Chinese, right?" Director Chien inquired. I simply nodded. My family is Chinese-Thai and my grandparents still speak to us in Chinese. "And you're also not married?" I nodded once more. "That would make this less complicated, then. I think you're familiar with the company purchasing a small manufacturing plant in China? The deal has just been finalized yesterday and the other directors think it would be a great opportunity to send a group of our employees there so they can oversee the transition. In return, it would be perfect for us to have the employees there to adapt to our company culture and values. And we're thinking of sending you there as an assistant team leader, with Lao managing all teams overall."

I can not help but show shock in my face. Shit! I said to myself. I made a really big deal about Kong leaving for California and here I am being sent to China! How can I start explaining this to him? Director Chien probably saw my discomfort.

"Is everything alright, Arthit?" Director Chien asked. P'Lao and I caught each other's eyes. 

"He's probably just in shock, Director," P'Lao commented while giving me an eye."How about I talk to Arthit about the details alone? I'm sure you have other things on your schedule today, Director." P'Lao and I stood up and I bowed at Director Chien before exiting. P'Lao selected one of the small conference rooms located on the same floor. After ushering me in, P'Lao sat himself one of the chairs and I sat on the one across his.

"What's wrong, Arthit?" P'Lao asked me. I looked at him, somewhat lost for words. He sighed, "You understand that this is a very big opportunity that you cannot miss, right?" I nodded but I did not trust myself to say anything more.

"Look, I know you can do this. I've been grooming you over the past year with this in mind. Sure, it may not be in China. But I was thinking you could step up and be an assistant team leader first before you are comfortable leading a project of your own. Am I wrong to assume that you wanted this promotion?" P'Lao asserted.

"It is not that, P'Lao," I started but looked down. He is quite correct that I have been aiming a promotion this year or the next. I also know how I work and how he values what I have put on the table. I deserve this! I told myself.