Chapter 2.1: Getting Paid, Dodging Rent, and Drinking

Start from the beginning

"Aberlocke," A sharp voice snaps from out of sight. The butler looks behind, and stands quickly, slipping the dagger away and straightening his tux. Midas slips lazily into view, looking down at me with thin amber eyes. I move to stand, but he places a slippered foot on my chest and I stop, audibly swallowing.

The butler, I can kill. Midas...well, you don't just murder the richest man in the city. I think. The rules here are a bit undefined.

Midas reaches down with a gloved hand, snatching the torn map away from me. After a glance, he hands it to Aberlocke. Leaning forward, he pulls an apple out of his robe, bright teeth crunching into the fruit. This is the kind of power you don't mess with. Well, unless you really need to. I open my mouth, breath rasping against my dry tongue.

"You have the—"

He holds up a hand, swallowing. "I hired you to bring me a map. You got me half." He puts more weight on my chest, oiled beard nearly touching my mask. He looms over me, shadows crisscrossing his olive skin.

"You hired me to bring you the contents of the vault." For a skinny man, you are heavy, Midas. Good gods. "Which I have done." Midas' eyes narrow, apple juice dripping onto my shoulders.

"There's more to the map," he hisses.

"Not my problem. I did my job."

I'm yanked up against the wall, the leather of his gloves creaking around the collar of my shirt before the apple even hits the ground. I groan when my head smacks the wall. Aberlocke silently picks up the apple. Butlers.

"You lying shit," His lips quiver, beard trembling with rage. "Where is the other half of the map?"

"I don't know," I snap back, eyes flicking from the deep lines on his face to Aberlocke's satisfied smirk. What if I bit Midas right here? What would happen? Something tells me it wouldn't be good. But having his hands on me like this—no, deep breath. Remember the money. My shoulders slowly lower, Midas' eyes roaming over my face. "If I knew, I'd tell you. Why would I risk my life just to lie to you?" My voice is soft, almost pleading.

"Because you're a greedy son of a bitch," He growls, grip tightening. "All you want is my money. I know you have the map."

"Then pay me half," Midas blinks and I smile, hoping it doesn't show in my eyes. Sometimes I really do love this mask. "You say you only get half the map, then give me half the money." Midas slowly uncurls his fists, taking a step back, stroking his beard.

"Of course," I angle my back towards the door, sidling closer to the entryway. "If you only pay me half, word might spread about how the great and powerful Midas goes back on his word." Midas whirls and I hold up my hands. "I wouldn't say anything. It just might get out," The shit-eating grin on my face is definitely showing in my eyes. And voice. And everywhere. "Somehow."

"You—"

"Greedy son of a bitch, yes, I know." I hold out one hand. I guess now is one of those times when you mess with Midas' kind of power. "Now pay me in full. And if I happen to find the other half of the map, you'll be the first to know." Midas looks from Aberlocke, to me, then behind his shoulder, and back to me. He really looks like he wants me dead. I'm not sure if I could stop him if he tried. Please don't call my bluff.

"Aberlocke," The butler straightens, reaching for his dagger. "Go fill up a pouch." Aberlocke's eyes widen, mouth agape like a fish-out-of-water. "Now!" Midas and I stand in tense silence that stretches on for nearly a minute before the butler returns, handing Midas a jingling pouch. Music to my ears. I wiggle my fingers and Midas walks past me, opening the door.

"Pleasure doing business with you," I smirk, reaching for the pouch.

"Find me the second half of that map, or you die." His eyes burn like liquid gold. I reach for the pouch again and he tosses it down the steps. "Bastard!" He hisses before slamming the door on me. I pick up the pouch of gold, tossing it and catching it, slipping it into one of my many pockets, smiling. I'd say that was a...success? Yeah, let's go with that.

||||||||||

Inspired by: "Debonaire" by Dope

Chapter 2 was mostly dialogue, but I enjoyed it. We finally got Namonai's name and I brought Naiomi in; hopefully now that we know she's a fox lady, people will stop confusing them. Aberlocke seems annoying, and so does Midas, come to think of it. They come in again; you've been warned. Let me know what you thought in the comments!

Follow Me On:

https://www.facebook.com/noahbarfield.author

https://twitter.com/noahbarfield21

https://www.youtube.com/c/NoahBarfield

https://ark-storm.com

Like "Legend Land: Tale of the Nameless God"? Order the original "Legend Land" today!

http://ark-storm.com/shop/

Beta Readers/Editors:

Alyssa Clark

Elizabeth Foran

Mandy Barfield

Jordan Thacker

Raiden Jackson