Chapter 8✔️

"MY GOAL IS TO BUILD A LIFE I DON'T NEED TO VACATION FROM."

- Unknown

***

YOU KNOW THAT FEELING? That feeling, where your heart is racing one-hundred miles per hour and you feel as if you might faint from the adrenaline that is pumping through your veins?

That's what it felt like to be kissed by Christopher.

We hadn't necessarily spoken about it afterwards; Chris merely pulled me along with him to the back of his truck and spread out blankets and pillows with a small grin on his face, the silence between us comfortable and light.

We slept deeply that night, my head resting on his chest as he wound his arms around my waist and buried his face in my hair. It was strange, really. Two strangers enjoying an intimate moment together even thought they barely knew each other.

In the morning, Chris awoke me with a kiss on the cheek and a steaming cup of gas-station coffee. Our conversation returned back to normal after that, although the memory of the kiss still lingered in the air as we continued our journey to heaven knows where.

"I'm telling you, Tom Cruise looks way better with his hair cut short," Chris argues, keeping one hand on the steering wheel as we bicker.

"And I'm telling you that Tom Cruise looks better with his hair longer!" I bite back, crossing my arms over my chest as the infuriatingly handsome boy next to me shakes his head in defiance.

"No, you're wrong," he says, a laugh escaping him.

"No, I'm right," I argue, leaning back in my chair and resting my legs on the dashboard like I did last week I had been in this car for the first time. It seems like a year ago, not a week ago.

"Whatever you say, miss-know-it-all," he murmurs under his breath.

I slap his arm playfully, silently noting how he never ordered me to get my feet off his dashboard this time around.

"Ouch, what was that for?" he whines, though his cheeky smile is still on his face.

I chuckle. "For calling me a know-it-all,"

"That's because you are a know-it-all," he points out with a smirk.

I huff, deciding to tune him out by turning on the radio.

And then, we drive. And drive. And drive some more.

At this point, sleep is overtaking me and I can't help but close my eyes as I drift off to the quiet sound of the pop music coming from the radio.

However, an all too familiar sound comes to my ears and shakes me out of my dream state.

"Stop the car!"

The car screeches to a halt.

"What the heck, Alexis? I thought you were asleep this whole time!"

"Just wait," I say, hurrying out of the car as I hear Chris's groan of frustration from behind me. "I'll be back in a minute!"

He exhales, heavily. "Fine, but, hurry up."

I run across the road, jumping over the side rail and landing on the other side. I quickly run down the hill before making my way through the thick branches ahead of me. If what I heard was really here, then I will be the happiest runaway of all time.

As I make it through the thick bush, my eyes widen at the sight in front of me.

A waterfall. A beautiful, shimmering, utterly gorgeous waterfall, with blue shining water that falls into a large pond.

Looks like I really am the happiest runaway of all time.

***

{ hey guyyyys! Thank you so much for 700+ reads on this book!!! You guys got None Of The Above up to #72 a couple days ago!!! I can't thank you enough. Happy Tuesday💙 with lots of love, mae. }