Chapter 1✔️

"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring."

- David Bowie

***

I wonder how those track stars do it, you know?

It's not that easy to run faster than lightning, especially when it's dark and you have two police officers sprinting after you. Not to mention, I'm still holding the bright red can of spray paint in my hand.

Maybe if I spray it behind me, it might actually hit them?

Screw it. Anything's worth a try, right?

With a more than un-ladylike war cry escaping my lips, I aim the nozzle behind me and hope for the best.

If this doesn't work, than I might just have to give in. I mean, one night spent in a cell isn't that bad, right? At least I'm not gonna be arrested for murder, or anything -

"Oomph!"

My thoughts are abruptly cut short as I round another dark corner, my body crashing rather un-gracefully into something rock hard.

"What the heck -?"

A voice grumbles, and my eyes snap up to be met by ice-cold grey orbs, that right now, are not exactly friendly looking.

"So sorry, sir," I chuckle awkwardly. "If you could just excuse me for one second -"

"Get back here, Worthing!"

My eyes widen considerably, the very thought of having to ride in the back seat of Officer Paten's cop car instantly bringing me back to the present situation.

You shouldn't blame me. His car always smells like crushed dreams and cheap cologne. Who would want to ride in there?

"Uhm, do you happen to have a car?" I question the tall stranger still standing in front of me, his face concealed by the shadows.

"Yeah, why?" He asks, stuffing his hands in his pockets as I nervously look over my shoulder.

Those cops were not far behind me.

"Could I, perhaps have a ride?" I try and keep my voice as polite and innocent as possible, because as far as I know, I've never met this man. And in the town I live in, I pretty much know everybody. And everybody knows me.

"Why?" he smirks, and I catch a glimpse of his shiny white teeth.

I grimace. "Because, uhm," glancing back over my shoulder, I fidget anxiously as I hear their footsteps approaching.

"Worthing!"

"It's complicated," I rush out, my eyes darting behind the man to notice that the corner I turned led to a gas station. "Is that your car?"

I gesture towards the truck that is parked close by, my eyes silently pleading with the stranger standing before me.

"Yes," the stranger muses, almost as if he finds this situation amusing.

But I find the reality of this situation far from amusing, and waste no time in latching onto the man's wrist and sprinting over to his truck.

The stranger weirdly complies, his face still hidden behind a hood.

He better not be a murderer.

"Drive," I order, pulling on my seatbelt in record time and slamming the passenger door closed.

"Whatever you say," I hear him mutter under his breath.

However, my eyes are fixed on the corner we were just standing on. The same corner that Officer Paten is now turning; a furious glare pictured on his red face as he searches the darkness for me.

It is only when I meet his enraged eyes that the stranger pulls out of the gas station, a chuckle escaping my lips as I give a fake wave to Officer Paten's furious figure.

And, in typical Alexis Worthing fashion, I did something so unthinkable that it would go down in history as the stupidest decision ever made.

I got into a car with a complete stranger and said drive.

***

Hey GUYS! Since my imagination runs wild and every idea that pops into my head makes me want to write about it, I decided to post the first chapter of this new story I thought of^^^ I know it sounds crazy right now, but I hope you liked it anyway!

- Mae