03 | Snow

• song : sk8er boy / avril lavigne •

'So you just press it down with the heel and that's it!'

'The heel and that's- AARGHH!!'

'Tate!'

I rushed to his side, checking him for any serious injuries. He scratched his knee a bit and his palms were full of fresh cuts, but apart from that he was okay. I tsked and helped him stand up.

'I said press it down with the heel not barely touch it.'

He scoffed and crossed his arms over his chest defensively. 'I'm sorry Rodney Mullen but some of us weren't born on the skateboard like you.'

'You think too much about your next move,' I ignored his jab and tried to point out why he failed again. 'More importantly, you're not wearing protective pads and helmet.'

'Because I look like a gnome.'

'Safety's more important.'

He frowned. 'Ugh, you sound just like my grandma.'

My eyebrows stopped furrowing in an instant and a wide smile found its way to my face. 'Ooh, I love Grandma Jackson. She always gives me sweets.'

'Yeah,' Tate snickered, 'which makes you turn hyperactive and then I have to melt under Sophie's glare.'

I punched him in the shoulder and he whined loudly for the whole skate park to hear him. 'Party pooper. When will you learn to have some fun?'

'Never,' he replied with a small shrug, bending to grab his skateboard. 'It's what makes us a special duo. I'm the serious and responsible one. You're the tomboyish and crazy one. We balance- '

'Not another word Jackson or I swear I'll push you off the ramp tied to your board!'

He sighed and tugged me after him impatiently. 'Fine. Let's go home, I'm bored anyway.'

When his mum opened the door her big smile faded after seeing Tate's grumpy face and scratched knees.

She looked at me with a sad smile. 'I assume skateboarding didn't go well?'

Tate pushed past her with a groan and climbed upstairs, slamming the door of his room shut. With an apologetic shrug to Barbara I followed to find him stretched on the bed with Jill the Stuffed Parrot under his arm.

He groaned again, flashing me a finger. 'Go away Snow, I'm fine.'

'You actually have the guts to lie to me Jackson? Look at me. Look at me you little dipshit!' I yelled furiously, stomping my foot. At the sound of my raised voice he sat up, his dark brown eyes watching me gingerly.

'Jeez, what has gotten into you all of a sudden? Okay, before you start yelling I already know what you're about to say so there's no need for- '

I slapped him.

'What the hell was- '

I slapped him again.

'Snow- '

And again.

He learned the lesson and shut his trap.

'Now, listen to me.' I sat down on his bed, my feet dangling as usual. 'I'm sick of seeing you give up on everything you try. Soccer, art, journalism, chess ... and now skateboarding. You're only good at whining and being my best friend.'

He fell on his back, staring up at the ceiling covered with a huge astronomy map.

'Wow, thanks so much Snow.'