Chapter 4

Somebody That I Used To Know- Chapter Four 

      They walked into Clara's house to find that her father still wasn't home. Deciding to take advantage of that, Clara to let Alex stay the night. They planned to just cuddle up on the couch and watch movies together. Only getting through “Mary Poppins” and about twenty seven minutes of “Lilo and Stitch”, Clara and Alex fell asleep on the couch in each other's arms.

       Clara woke up to the sound of Alex screaming for help followed by a grunt of pain. "CLARA! CLARA, PLEASE HELP ME! PLEASE!" She immediately leapt from the couch to locate where the noise was coming from. Rushing through the house she finally found him in the backyard covered in blood and bruises and a man grasping at his throat, practically lifting him off the grass yelling, "Did you think I wouldn't catch you and my daughter together? Do you think I'm stupid?” It was Clara's father, Dave. Finally back home after almost a week. Drunk as usual.

       Clara ran over to Alex as Dave dropped him on the ground and walked away, not even noticing his own daughter. Gasping for air, Alex clutched his throat and breathed in hard. "Alex! Oh my...are you okay?!" She asked, checking him over for any sign of serious damage. There were growing patches of red soaking his shirt coming from the back of his shoulder and his abdomen. The shirt itself was almost torn to shreds from Dave beating him so much. In order to access the wound, Clara had to take what remained of his shirt off, revealing his perfectly toned body. But that wasn't the point right now. At this moment, Clara had to stop the bleeding and call for help.

       She grabbed her cell phone from her dress pocket, simultaneously bunching up Alex's shirt to press it to his major wound, and began to dial the police. After ringing only three times, someone answered saying, "Hello. This is London

Police. Please state your emergency and location."

       "It's my boyfriend! My father must have stabbed him or something. He's bleeding rather severely from his right shoulder and the lower left part of his abdomen. Please, you need to help him."

       "Please, miss, you're going to need to calm down and give me your location." The woman stated.

       "1011 St. John Street. Please don't let him die..." Clara whispered as the line cut off.

       "Clara..." Alex started. "Behind you." All of the sudden, she heard the sound of a bullet being put in place. She turned around to face her father, who was standing over her with a silver handheld gun that he said was 'only for emergencies'.

       "Move. Out. Of. The. Way." Dave said through his teeth.

       "I'm not going to let you hurt him! There's no chance in hell that I'm moving for you!" Clara screamed, hoping the neighbors would hear if they hadn't already.

       "What would your mother think? She would probably say that you were better off with the dead boy than this pile of rubbish."

       "HOW DARE YOU!" Clara screamed. "You know Mum would never say anything of the sort! She liked Alex before when I was dating him! She always supported me in my decisions and loved me NO MATTER WHAT! What I still can't figure out is why she married you!" That was it. Clara had snapped, and it was about to cost her way more than she ever anticipated.

       Lifting the gun up to Clara's heart, Dave gave her one last chance to let him by. She didn't move an inch, knowing that her father would never do anything of the sort. This was just the alcohol talking. 

       Finger on the trigger, he slowly began to apply pressure. Clara swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat and closed her eyes. The last thing she heard was Alex's voice whispering, "Don't let him hurt you, Clara.", and the shot was fired.