Jess called me over momentarily, to talk about what she missed in first due to her and Justin's flirting. I, of course, gave her my notes to copy and when I looked up, Zach was standing up and Hannah was talking to him.

I waited for Zach to leave before starting to walk back over to Hannah's table. I was startled when someone grabbed my wrist pulling me to turn around.

"Hey, Naomi."

"Hey! You scared me, sorry." I laughed, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"It's all good." Zach seemed nervous as he stuck his hands in his pockets after running a hand through his hair.

"What's up?" I looked up to him. I still never understood how a junior could be so freaking tall. Zach had to be the tallest person in Crestmont no doubt.

"I just wanted to ask you on a date."

We both got quiet and stared at each other before he started laughing. I now see why he was nervous. "Wow, that was straightforward. I'm sorry. I just wanted to see what you were doing this weekend." He rephrased causing me to burst into a fit of laughter.

"I would be absolutely honored to go on a date with you, Dempsey." I held my books to my chest, trying not to burst with joy.

"See you this weekend then, Kahele."

After he walked away, I walked as fast but calmly as I could to Hannah and I's table. When I sat down I couldn't help but have the biggest smile on my face. I had been waiting for Zach to ask me out for the longest time. At some point I was starting to think he had a thing for Hannah, but today cleared the air. I knew things would get better after this weekend. Finally, Zach Dempsey had asked me on a date. It felt like years since the first time I had met him at Bryce's party in my first week in Crestmont.

"Why so smiley, Naomi?" She gave me a smile but I could tell something was wrong. Maybe Zach had said something to her? I brushed it off. Maybe I was over reacting.

"Zach Dempsey just asked me on a date this weekend!" I yelled quietly. You know how "tell quietly" when something is big news but you didn't want other people to hear? That's how that went.

Hannah's eyes went wide, her jaw dropping. "What? Wow. That's um-" she turned her head, looking at the table of jocks. She looked kind of shocked, and kind of... hurt? I couldn't quite my out the emotion on her face, but she looked kind of off standish.

"Is everything okay?" My smile dropped and I glanced over at Zach's table before looking at Hannah.

I didn't want to bare my good news if Hannah was upset about something.

"No, I'm actually really happy for you." Her mood changed almost instantly and she gave me a smile. "I know you've been waiting for this. I'm happy."

"I'm so excited! You have to come over and help me get ready."

The rest of the lunch Hannah and I talked about what this weekend would be like. And every once in a while I asked if she was okay. Because no matter how much I went on, trying to lighten the mood, and no matter how much she tried to be happy for me I could tell that something in the back of her mind was bothering her.

•the date•

Hannah showed up to my house on Saturday night with the biggest of smiles on her face. It made me happy to see her happy, and it also made me happy that in a few hours I'd be going on my first date. Better yet, my first date with Zach Dempsey.

I pulled her upstairs to my room, opening my closet. I had been trying to find out all day what to wear but I just couldn't. I knew Hannah would be able to help, though.