Nia ripped the gun free and ducked under the rod aimed at her face. Ace stumbled past her, his blow meeting air rather than flesh. Nia clicked off the safety like a professional and fired. Ace gasped as the bullet slammed through his ribs. The sound was deafening, its roar echoing through the tunnel. He dropped the stun rod. Blood spread across his chest. I thought he was going to topple over, but instead he staggered toward Nia. She didn't move. The gun roared again. This time Nia put a bullet directly into Ace's face. He crashed to the floor in a pool of his own blood.

Time stopped. Until now, I'd been a spy, a conspirator, a deceiver. A distant voice at the back of my head—the real me—yelled that I wasn't a killer. I just wanted something better than the horror I had lived. I hadn't laid a hand on anyone yet. A ringing sounded in my ears, blocking out all other sound and thought. My mouth widened into a smile as my inner voice fell silent. My cause was just. I was an avenger. I was someone who knew what needed to be done for the greater good. That was my mission.

I drove my shoulder into Nia's back, wrapping both my arms around her as I smashed into her flesh. Elation surged through me as I struck. She cried out as I wrestled her to the floor. I had her arms pinned. I went for the gun; she dropped it rather than allow me to have it. The drug in my veins made me stronger than Nia, but she was agile. She twisted and spun like an eel, trying to get free. She dug her nails into my arm. I shoved her to the ground, digging my chin into her back. She gasped in pain, but her nails kept pushing. Blood flowed from my arm, but there wasn't any pain. I placed my free elbow on the back of her head and pushed her face into the disgusting water. I kept shoving until her mouth and nose were completely submerged. Her head thrashed, her body spasming in desperation. The ringing in my ears grew louder, but I didn't let up—until the cold metal of a pistol barrel pressed against my forehead.

"Stop, you traitorous bitch." The words were slow, dangerous. "Let go of her."

Macey's hand was shaking, but her face was crimson with rage, her eyes burning. I stopped pushing Nia. She came up gasping. She should have been dead—a regular person would have been dead.

"You helped my family. We helped you. My dad got you to Buckhead. Gave your beaten old father a job with his company, even though he had no lineage, no blood, no connections. We did everything for you. And this is what I get?" Disbelief flooded from Macey's mouth. "Why?"

"You blind, richie idiot," I said, staring back at her. "Have you ever wondered how your father became what he is? Or dared to wonder what he does to stay on top?" I spit the words out, feeling a fiery liberation as I was finally able to say what was in my heart. "Others have paid in blood for the jewels you wear, the aircraft you fly around in, your great estate mimicking two hundred years ago. And taking a private v-copter to protest camp? Nia had it right. We've had enough of your lineage garbage, Macey." I snorted the last out with a bitter laugh.

Her mouth crept open. She was actually surprised for a moment. Then it was gone, replaced by a sneer of righteous anger. Her finger tensed. But the gun never fired; Wingate jammed a stun rod into the back of Macey's slender neck and held it there. Her face shook violently, her eyes bulging. Her pallor turned a sickly blue.

"We need her," I reminded Wingate, my blood cooling.

He looked at me, his eyes resolute. He wanted me to know he had my back. We were in this together. I nodded back at him, letting him see what he needed to see. He pulled the stun rod away. Macey slumped to the ground, unconscious.

Wingate knelt next to Ace. He didn't bother to check for a pulse; there wasn't enough left of Ace's face to even consider that he might still be alive. Good riddance. Men like Gregory Freder might have shattered society with their lies and greed, but men like Ace had been their eager henchmen. I got to my feet and stood beside Wingate. He pulled a pistol from his pocket and pointed it at Nia.