I got a bad feeling deep in my gut.

On the way over Ray and I stopped at a Spring festival. I saw some flowers that reminded me of Char so I bought them.

They might cheer her up a little.

"I'll wait right here, kid."

Ray parked his car in front of her house as I got out of the front seat with Charlotte's flowers.

I took a deep breath before approaching the front door. Even now she still makes me nervous.

Just as I was about to knock on the door, I heard screaming.

Loud pain filled, soul chilling screams, spilling out of the house.

My heart stopped beating.

"Oh my god..."

I backed away from the door, stumbling over my feet and dropping the flowers as I ran back to Ray's car.

"Ray! Ray we have to get in there now! Charlotte is screaming! I can hear her screaming!"

I yanked the car door open in a panic, my hands were shaking badly.

"What? Screaming?"

Ray quickly got out of the car and jogged up the porch steps with me.

"Hey! Open up in there!"

He banged on the door. The screams had stopped. It was silent now.

I went around the side of the house to look through the window.

My stomach twisted as I spotted Charlotte passed out on the living room floor.

Her horrible foster mother dropped a metal rod by her head and went to answer the door, kicking Charlotte in her torso one last time.

I felt as if I was about to throw up.

I told my parents she was gonna get hurt again but nobody fucking listens to me.

I went back around to the front of the house.

"What the hell do you want?!"

Mrs. Perry stepped out of the house and slammed the door closed behind herself.

"What are you doing to Charlotte you son of bitch!"

I lunged at her, my rage swelled up like a wave about to crash fiercely over anything it touches.

"Calm down Henry!"

Ray said, grabbing me back... But he was just as pissed.

Mrs. Perry's eyes got wide,  she scrunched up her old ugly face.

"You disrespectful little brat!"

She raised her had to slap me,  before she could Ray grabbed her hand.

I flinched.

"If you so much as lay a hand on this kid I guarantee you... You'll regret it."

Ray told her in a low threatening voice. She pulled away from him, baffled.

"Get off of me! I'll call the police on your asses for trespassing on my damn property!"

Ray tapped his watch behind his back.

"Don't bother, their on their way and when they get her you have a lot of explaining to do."

Ray pushed past her and opened the door to the house. I followed him.

"Wha- What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

Ray and I ignored Mrs. Perry and intruded into the house.

I found Charlotte where I saw her in the living room.

Her face was covered in scratches and bruises. And welts skimmed all across her arms and legs.

"Char? Charlotte?"

I lifted her head and tried to get her to open her eyes. But she didn't wake up.

"Charlotte? I'm sorry... I'm so sorry I should have protected you like I said I would... Char, you don't deserve this."

In the back of my mind I could hear Ray arguing with Mrs. Perry in the foyer.

"Char, come on... I'm gonna get you out of here forever."

I lifted her up in my arms and carried her outside.

"Hey! You bring her back here!"

Mrs. Perry yelled out the front door, coming after me. Ray blocked her path.

I laid Charlotte in the back seat of Ray's car, smoothing her curls off her forehead and staring at her sleeping face.

I felt deep bitterness mixing with so much anger and hate in my chest.

I wanted nothing more than to kill that bitch and make her suffer a slow painful death for doing this to the one girl I ever cared for and loved.

But I know that's not what Charlotte would have wanted.

Now it was all a waiting game.

As soon as the police got here Mrs. Perry would be arrested and Charlotte would be free to live somewhere else.

Somewhere safer.

And I'd be there right by her side wherever that was. I was never gonna abandon her again.

     💞 Thanks for reading! From 💞 Nations101 and Annaleese_Parker!

If you liked this chapter please vote and leave a comment! 💋💋💋