■~20~■

Henry's POV-

"Henry, I cannot believe you lied to us all this time. How could you do something like this?"

My mom was pretty mad when Ray went downstairs and told her and my dad Charlotte has been hiding up in my room for a little while.

"I'm just trying to protect Charlotte, her foster mom is abusive."

I told her truthfully.

Charlotte and I sat on opposite ends of the couch.

My mom automatically assumed we had probably been sleeping together.

I mean I liked the idea of that, but it was far from the truth.

"Henry, you could have talked to us first! You could have been a voice for Charlotte, you could have told us about this. The decision you made was harsh, stupid and unreasonable!"

My dad lectured me. I sat there hunched over... Feeling like a jackass.

"What's gonna happen to her?"

I asked them, looking from Ray, to my mom, then my dad and lastly Charlotte.

She looked as if she was seconds away from crying again.

My mom sighed and shook her head slowly.

"Honestly I don't know Henry... Her foster mother has yet to be investigated but we will get to the bottom of this. For now I guess Ray will just have to take her back home."

"Mom no!"

I jumped off the couch.

"Henry. It's out of our hands... Until the police and social services get involved this is what has to happen."

I stepped up to my mother and grabbed one of her hands. My heart was aching for Charlotte.

"Mom, if you love me please listen to me. Charlotte will get hurt again if she goes back there! I can't let her get hurt!"

I felt tears prickling the back of my eyelids. A feeling of defeat and sadness washed over my entire body.

"Oh Henry... I'm sorry."

My mom touched my cheek.

"You should have talked to us, maybe things would have turned out differently."

She replied.

I took a deep breath and turned away from her.

"Can we at least have a minute... So I can tell her what's about to happen?"

My mom traded looks with my dad.

"Just a minute."

My mom agreed.

I slowly grabbed Charlotte's hand and tugged her to her feet.

I led her outside to the front porch of the house.

We sat on the stairs.

I took another deep breath. How am I supposed to do this?

I looked at Charlotte.

"What is it Henry? Are they taking me back? Please say no."

My heart sank even more. Her signs were desperate.

"Char, I care about you a lot... And I need you to know that I'd do anything for you."

Charlotte looked away shyly and bit her lip.

"They're taking me back."

She signed to me glumly.

"I'm sorry... I tried to tell them but they just don't listen. There's nothing I can do now."

I replied to her signs with my own.

Charlotte looked up at me and shrugged one shoulder. There was a look in her eyes I couldn't recognize.

"It's okay Henry... At least you did your best to help, thank you for everything you've done for me."

Charlotte hugged me and I hugged her back, inhaling her sweet scent.

Somehow I feel like I let her down so bad.

When she pulled back tears were slowly dripping down her cheeks.

I wiped them away softly and our eyes locked like on the first day we met.

Charlotte glanced down at my lips and my heart did a triple somersault.

I think she wants to kiss me!

Without signs... We both closed our eyes and leaned in-

-That's when the front door opened.

Damn it!

Charlotte and I slid away from each other quickly.

"Alright, it's time for Charlotte to get her things."

My mom said.

I signed to Charlotte and she followed my mom back into the house with one last look at me.

I stayed outside on the front steps thinking about what just happened.

We almost kissed.

I tried to get my heart to calm down to normal level. I could only hope that Charlotte would be okay until her horrible foster mom was locked up or something.

After a while I went back into the house to say goodbye to Charlotte.

         Thanks for reading! From Nations101 and Annaleese_Parker!

Please leave a comment and vote if you liled this chapter! 💋💋💋