Chapter Eight - The Portal Is Sealed

En başından başla

Malin must have noted George's puzzled look. 'They have sealed the portal. Until this over it will not allow anyone or anything to pass in or out of Ellyonia.'

'Does that mean I'm trapped here too?' George asked worriedly.

'If you wish I will get them to lower the barrier and allow you to go home,' Malin told him.

George thought for a second. 'No it's okay, I promised to help and I'm here now. Let's get on with it.' 

Just then a squadron of Wolf Riders broke from the cover of the trees. The hackles on Stryker back rose and he gave out a low warning growl.

'Stay!' George warned, laying a calming hand on the dogs back. 'They're bigger than you.'

He had glimpsed the wolves before, but only from afar and did not realize just how big they were. The one in the lead, a huge shaggy black beast, stood a little taller than him. It regarded him with its yellow eyes, teeth bared in a snarl.

Its rider leant over and scratched the wolf between the eyes. 'Steady Harvest they are friends.'

The rider smiled down at George. He was clad in lightweight Elven armour, a blue cloak hung from his shoulder plates. He slid from the saddle and landed lightly on his feet. Removing his helmet, he stepped closer to George and Stryker.

'That is a fine looking dog you have there,' he told George. 'It is one of Fenrirr's litter if I am not mistaken.'

George nodded. 'Yes, that's right. We call him Stryker.'

The Elf held out a hand letting Stryker get his scent. 'A good strong name, with the right training he will make a good addition to our ranks.'

'No!' shouted George. Rather more forcefully than he meant too. 'He's the family pet and we want to keep him that way.'

'Do not worry George,' said Malin. 'I suspect Captain Myran is having a little fun with you. Am I not right Wyne?'

The captain looked a little embarrassed. 'Well, yes, I am sorry if the boy...' Wyne Myran hesitated, changing the subject. 'We have scouted as far north as Sulzor but no sightings of the beast have been reported. Others are searching out towards Stowenden and Egdmarden but again nothing. Our intruder seems to have vanished.

George saw Malin glance about as if to make sure no one else was listening.

'Wyne, I do not think it forced its way into Ellyonia just to unaccountably disappear again,' he whispered. 'It is a powerful adversary. At first, we thought it sought revenge for a long forgotten war. But even it; with all its power, would not be able to stand again the entire Elven army for long. We now believe it has another agenda. There is a key hidden somewhere within the Kingdom, a key that will unlock the magic that holds its race prisoner. We need to move swiftly and locate this key before the creature does and put an end to its plans.' 

Wyne Myran seemed to think for a moment. 'Then I would suggest that whatever it is you intend to do; you do it now. I will intensify our search for this creature. See if we can give it something to worry about while you try and track down this key.'

'Thank you,' said Malin. 'I am sorry that I cannot divulge more of our plans to you. We are concerned that the creature may be able to glean information from our minds. So the fewer people who know of them the better.' 

Wyne nodded in agreement. 'I understand Captain. I cannot tell what I do not know.' 

George watched the Elven captain remount Harvest calling to his men to make ready.

'Well... the best of luck with your quest Malin. We will take our leave now and try to buy you some time,' he called down to them. 'And George, when you return perhaps you and Stryker would like to visit the school. Some of his brothers and sisters are training there.'

George smiled. 'Thanks Captain, we would like that.' 

Captain Myran saluted, 'Malin, George, may the Bael'Vanna keep you safe on your journey.'

Shouting out orders he swung Harvest to the east and led his troops out of the clearing.

They watched the Wolf Riders until they disappeared into the trees.   

'Do you think they will be okay?' George asked.

'That I do not know,' replied Malin. 'But let us not waste time. The others will be waiting for us.'

 'Come on!' Danielle shouted. 'He can't have gotten that far.'

They had hastily thrown on some clothes and while Danielle scribbled a quick note to Mum and Dad—explaining they had gone for an early morning walk—Jessica retrieved their hidden weapons and cloaks from the shed.

Now they were both running along the pathway hoping to catch up with their brother before he reached the portal 

Danielle paused for a moment getting her bearings.

She should have guessed he would try something like this. George was too headstrong. Once he set his mind on something it was always difficult to talk him out of it. She should have tried harder, but she had been too tired to argue with him. She hoped that he would go to bed, think about it and come to the right decision. 

She should have known better. 

Jessica caught up, her face ruddy from the cold morning air. 'He's gone.' she said, breath fogging the air around her. 

'Then we'll just have to follow him into Ellyonia,' Danielle said determinedly.

They continued further into the woods until they saw the large oaks that marked the portal. 

There was no sign of George.

Racing forward they passed between the oak trees.

Danielle stopped so suddenly that her sister almost ran into her. 

'What's up?' Jessica asked.

'I don't know,' replied Danielle looking around. There were none of the subtle differences she noticed on previous visits. Instead of the sights and sounds, the warmth and greenery of the Elven lands, all was silent, cold and gloomy. 

Danielle walked back beneath the oaks. Stopped and looked around. Ahead, the trees still spread their autumnal colours up into the slate grey sky.

'Is this the right place?'

Jessica shrugged her shoulders. 'I think so.' 

But Danielle already knew the answer.

There was no mistake... ...they were in the right place. 

The portal had disappeared.